If you couldn't play golf...

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I would be a cricketer or tennis player if I wasn't a pro golfer (not that I'm a pro-golfer actually...but you know what I mean!).

reckon tennis and cricket are pretty similar to golf and love the fact that they are both played in predominantly good weather!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would have to be ski-ing!

I'd say my ski-ing handicap is about the same as my golf handicap! Actually has a lot of similarities. You're outside in all weathers, the views are great, it's technically based and you can do it until you're into your dotage. Ski-ing at different resorts is a bit like playing different golf coures. The apres-ski is a bit like the 19th hole too.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"...so to spice things up we gatecrashed the Salcombe regatta, pitting our skills against some of the finest sailors in Devon. Succeeding in this situation required a strong skipper with excellent boat control and a cool head under pressure (sailing boats with angry yachtsmen were flying at us from all angles)."

Bit surprised to read this! I wonder if the author would be quite so understanding if someone did the equivalent on the golf course next time he tees it up in the monthly medal..??

Having said that, I used to do quite a bit of fishing until I got bitten by the golfing bug so if I couldn't play golf, I'd probably go back to doing that. Actually I'd probably take the chance for a lie in on a Saturday morning but that's beside the point.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with John Findlay, it's got to be skiing. Another great sport where you can keep improving as long as your body will let you.

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
Muttleee,

Joing a regatta in a motorised boat was indeed extremely poor form. However, as we rented the boat we were never told where to go or asked if we had any experience. They just let us go and do whatever we wanted... You wouldn't get away with that at a golf club