If you could live out your days anywhere...

Red devil

Visit site
Add Alberobello to the list. I found pretty much everywhere below Naples to be worth a visit. Amalfi coast is touristy and expensive but worth a visit. Further south is amazing.
Been a few times there,stayed at Hotel Villa San Michele nr Ravello,very nice. Amalfi and Positano tourist traps but Maiori and Minori and Atrani are beautiful. I'm going to try Calabria and Basilicata next ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Been a few times there,stayed at Hotel Villa San Michele nr Ravello,very nice. Amalfi and Positano tourist traps but Maiori and Minori and Atrani are beautiful. I'm going to try Calabria and Basilicata next ?

Love Calabria. Try basing yourself in Lamezia Terme and travelling out from there, a few days here and there. But if you’re ever back over on the Adriatic side of Pulia, do a road trip up the coast maybe as far as Vieste. Take a few days over it.

Red devil

Visit site
Stayed just outside Martina Franca for two weeks, don’t think we heard another English voice. Drove all over, found the locals very receptive to my pidgin Italian and generally fell in love with the place. Will be returning next year.
Back again in September. I've been learning Italian so I'm not brilliant but I can get by,directions, menu ordering etc. But locals appreciate you if you try.

Red devil

Visit site
Love Calabria. Try basing yourself in Lamezia Terme and travelling out from there, a few days here and there. But if you’re ever back over on the Adriatic side of Pulia, do a road trip up the coast maybe as far as Vieste. Take a few days over it.
Never tried a road trip in Italy before mainly
1, everyone drives like Senna or thinks they are.
2, like having a drink with a meal so prevents driving.
3, Because I work on the railway here I get free reciprocal travel in Italy and have used their trains a lot. Though local trains are hit and miss.
But I'll bite the bullet this year I think and rent one for a few days

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Never tried a road trip in Italy before mainly
1, everyone drives like Senna or thinks they are.
2, like having a drink with a meal so prevents driving.
3, Because I work on the railway here I get free reciprocal travel in Italy and have used their trains a lot. Though local trains are hit and miss.
But I'll bite the bullet this year I think and rent one for a few days

You could fly into Naples and get the train down. There’s a great train journey that actually sees the train go onto the ferry across to Sicily.

Red devil

Visit site
You could fly into Naples and get the train down. There’s a great train journey that actually sees the train go onto the ferry across to Sicily.

Yes,seen that before. It's on my to do list. As an aside got talking to the driver of the Campania Express, Sorrento-Napoli Centrale, told him I drive back in UK got me to come in with him for ride back. Med on one side Pompei and Vesuvio on the other, superb.
Anyway back to the thread, anywhere in Italy will do me

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I could live out my days in Malaysia with the occasional visit down to Singapore and up to Thailand.
Travel is relatively easy and inexpensive. Penang, Koh Samui, Taman Negara, Malacca, KL, Sabah.
Never been to Cambodia or Sumatra, and as for Indonesia I've visited just 4 islands out of six thousand inhabited ones.
If it gets too hot there are hill stations to cool off. Like Fraser's Hill, but the golf course there might be closed now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ybh I like living up here, but thecwife and I have been thinking of a move to France once she retires , Boudoux region maybe, not sure what the golf courses are like in that part of the world. Lived for 2 years in Normandy in the 90's but somewhere a bit warmer is her preference.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the UK, would be happy up in the Highlands, although not keen on the winters. Would ideally like somewhere that is warm and sunny for 365 days a year, near the sea with a nice little house within 5 minutes of a decent golf course. I think Portugal would be a good option, but mrs Wedge wants a Japanese or English speaking country, she doesn't want to learn a third language. Japan would be good, but I'd have to sacrifice frequent golf. Looking at what's happened to my pension fund over the last two weeks, I'm probably looking at moving to a wheelie bin in a dark alley in the back end of nowhere.
The winters are not that bad on the whole, you would be surprised how many do retire up here.