If my lie angle is supposed to be +1 degree upright.....

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
... what effect will a standard lie have on my shots?

When I ordered my AP2's about 18 months ago I specifically remember saying to the guy I want them +1 upright.( i know this from having the mb's fitted)

Whilst looking for somthing else last night I came accross the certificate for the clubs signed by the club maker and to my dismay it says lie angle standard :D

I'm gonna get them fixed but just wondered what effect this could have on shots if any?

Can I use as an excuse for missing greens lol?

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Considering how uneven most lies are, Id say nine whatsoever until the ground becomes board stiff.

The hardness of the ground shouldn't make any difference, as you hit the ball first.

The problem is the upwards direction of the loft of the club will point slightly left or right rather than straight up, if the lie is incorrect. I posted a picture of a driver a while back to show the effect.

If lie is uneven so that the ball is above or below you, this will make a difference to the flight, no matter if the lie is correct or not.

Generally if the lie is too flat, shots will start more to the right and too upright has the opposite effect. The effect is likely to be more exagerated in the shorter clubs, due to the greater loft.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It all depends on the person, I don't honestly think one degree would matter, more would certainly.
Even where you grip the shaft can make a slight difference in lie angle. If you find you are digging the toe in constantly then its worth looking into. If you only know this because you were told and are hitting the ball grand, I wouldn't see it as a priority. (I aint no pro tho!)

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It all depends on the person, I don't honestly think one degree would matter, more would certainly.
Even where you grip the shaft can make a slight difference in lie angle. If you find you are digging the toe in constantly then its worth looking into. If you only know this because you were told and are hitting the ball grand, I wouldn't see it as a priority. (I aint no pro tho!)

I agree. Most people wouldn't notice or be consitent enough to notice 1 degree out and if the ball flight is fine leave it.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst looking for somthing else last night I came accross the certificate for the clubs signed by the club maker and to my dismay it says lie angle standard

Where did you get fitted?! It's not the first time I've heard people say they got fit for something and were given off the shelf clubs :mad: Genuine mistakes do happen, but still...