Identifying your ball

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1) No idea why you mate would think a ball lost when you can touch it, pick it up and identify it.

2) Can an opponent really dispute a ball is yours if you have not put an ID mark on it -even although you may say it is patently and 100% obvious that the ball is 100% yours. So let's take situation to extreme. You tee your unmarked ball up and nearly miss it and it rolls of the tee peg. As your ball is in play and there is no ID mark on the ball your opponent can ask you to positively identify your ball and as no personal ID mark then you can't?

But actually if you then think about it - it is possible for your ball to be the identical ball and have identical ID mark as another - you've hit your ball into the rough - you find and ID a ball in the rough near to where you think your ball is. You find this and play it even although it is not your ball - and you you find the other ball. But you have acted in a reasonable way and identified a ball that was in all probability yours. So when you find a ball in the rough and identify it as yours you are actually only only acting on grounds of evidence and reasonable probability that the ball is yours.

So back to my tickle ball of tee. On grounds of evidence and reasonable probability the ball is mine - even if it is not marked - so my opponent can take a hike.

I think

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin

You are an absolute wizard on the rules, are you involved in some sort of official capacity.....county/national/R&A level??

Nothing wizardly about it - just obsessive :mad: and with the time to be so as I am retired.

SGU qualified referee but I should mention that Duncan and Rulefan are vastly more experienced. I really only got started a few years ago as a retirement project.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing wizardly about it - just obsessive :mad: and with the time to be so as I am retired.

SGU qualified referee but I should mention that Duncan and Rulefan are vastly more experienced. I really only got started a few years ago as a retirement project.

Colin

You post so frequently (and correctly) I suspect you have come out of retirement and are taking this up as a full time job.

Does it pay better than minimum wage?