I want to go home

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want to go hoo ooo ome, this town's a etc etc

This could be emotive given it's a Saturday, which 3 away grounds would you rank as the biggest dumps you have visited? Stadiums no longer with us are acceptable. There have been many but I have to give special mention to:

Eastville (Bristol Rovers)
http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/eastville_bristol_rovers.htm

The Manor Ground (Oxford Utd)
http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/manor_ground_oxford.htm

Recreation Ground (Aldershot)

M

MetalMickie

Millmoor - Rotherham; couldn't work out where the scrapyard ended and the ground began.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched Aldershot for a few games when I lived in Surrey in the 1970's.
Div.4 with the local derby vs Bournemouth.
Poor ground and poor football, the pies were OK if I remember correctly.

Most other grounds were fine. We used to laugh about the slope at Easter Road though.
I was at Tynecastle vs Old Rangers one night with 46,000 inside, that was a scary night.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1418

Old Trafford - a stadium that is way overrated IMO.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Away with yerself,sure it's not salubrious but it's a real football ground with a cracking atmosphere when there's a few folk in which isn't often now granted.

I agree, ramshackle but atmospheric. How did they get that burger caravan onto the terracing at the away end :confused:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I want to go hoo ooo ome, this town's a etc etc

This could be emotive given it's a Saturday, which 3 away grounds would you rank as the biggest dumps you have visited? Stadiums no longer with us are acceptable. There have been many but I have to give special mention to:

Eastville (Bristol Rovers)
http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/eastville_bristol_rovers.htm

Strewth! The Gas moved out of Eastville over 25 years ago and became a nomadic team.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Wycombe's old ground , Loakes Park was a 100 year old ground with an ancient wooden stand , but the outstanding feature was the 11 ft slope from side to side. Not something you see these days

Biggest match I saw there was in 1975 3rd round FA cup v Middlesbrough who were top of div 1 at the time
Drew 0:0 at home and I bunked off school aged 13 to see Wycombe lose 1:0 in the replay with a last minute goal

They moved out in 1990 to Adams park which is shared with Wasps rugby club

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearly forgot Gay Meadow (Shrewsbury), pre season friendly prior to 79 - 80, literally had to walk down mud tracks next to cow fields and next to the Severn to get to the ground :D

Durango

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Give me these old grounds any day of the week. One of the biggest tragedies of modern football has been the loss of these grounds which were the heart and soul of the local community. The new out of town identikit stadiums that are springing up everywhere are an absolute disaster, I don't know any 'real' football fans that prefer them. The post euro 96, sky/soccer am watching, 3 club supporting plonkers no doubt love the leg room and 'facilities' on offer though sure. Not for me, I'll stick with good old Edgeley Park ;)

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Give me these old grounds any day of the week. One of the biggest tragedies of modern football has been the loss of these grounds which were the heart and soul of the local community. The new out of town identikit stadiums that are springing up everywhere are an absolute disaster, I don't know any 'real' football fans that prefer them. The post euro 96, sky/soccer am watching, 3 club supporting plonkers no doubt love the leg room and 'facilities' on offer though sure. Not for me, I'll stick with good old Edgeley Park ;)

No need to beat around the bush here mate, say what you mean :lol:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fratton park, obviously.
Stadium MK. Ok, the ground itself might not be that bad, but its only half finished and we took more fans than they had, absolute joke of a club.
And finally the old Dell. Yes I know it was our old ground, and we loved her. But it was a dump!:D

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Totally agree with you, as nice as St Marys is I would move back to the Dell tomorrow. But only if we were allowed to have terraces again.