I want to go home

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was a xmas fixture in season 76/77 and deeply ingrained in the memory :)

Eastville had a Dog Track and a Speedway around the field (Not sure whether at the same time) that would be a sight, footy greyhounds and Bikes. All highlighted by the fragrance of the gas works over the back of the ground. Ah! such memories :smirk: Bristol City was a much more civilised experience.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fratton park, obviously.
Stadium MK. Ok, the ground itself might not be that bad, but its only half finished and we took more fans than they had, absolute joke of a club.
And finally the old Dell. Yes I know it was our old ground, and we loved her. But it was a dump!:D

It is a ridiculous idea to think that you can relocate a club and expect all its current fan base to follow and for the new town to instantly embrace it.

A case in point being Clyde FC, move from their home in Rutherglen (Shawfield) to the concrete hell made famous in Gregory's girl, far too many buses for their woodbine smoking fans to bother with and now planning to move to East Kilbride as EK Clyde - predicted attendance is two men and a dog.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eastville had a Dog Track and a Speedway around the field (Not sure whether at the same time) that would be a sight, footy greyhounds and Bikes. All highlighted by the fragrance of the gas works over the back of the ground. Ah! such memories :smirk: Bristol City was a much more civilised experience.

Yes dead civilised. Can't remember the name of the station near to Ashton Gate for the footy specials but it passed a park where nearly every window went through on the way out after the game. Had to wait at temple meads for about an hour and a half for new carriages. :angry:

tyke

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to Boston Utds ground in '89 or '90 - Holy Cow , the only things missing were the cows....

Have to agree with you here, still the same 20 odd years laters, still has a small place in my heart though, as this was the first place my youngest got a pro contract.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes dead civilised. Can't remember the name of the station near to Ashton Gate for the footy specials but it passed a park where nearly every window went through on the way out after the game. Had to wait at temple meads for about an hour and a half for new carriages. :angry:

Parson Street.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Oakwell, Barnsley; apart from being a dump what self-respecting football club sells its horse burgers in Hovis buns?

Oxford's Manor Ground had little to recommend it.

And Kenilworth Road was a horrible little ground with an even worse plastic pitch

Whitehart lane.

End the post now. I win.

Why; I'm quite fond of Three Point Lane......:D

user2009

Head Pro
Visit site
These grounds you mention are like Wembley compared to some I've seen around the Northern League this season (step 5) A truly shambolic tinpot league with tinpot rules and tinpot pitchfork waving inbred village teams.

But I don't need to worry about that anymore as Darlo have just won promotion today, only dropped 16 points all season :whoo:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
These grounds you mention are like Wembley compared to some I've seen around the Northern League this season (step 5) A truly shambolic tinpot league with tinpot rules and tinpot pitchfork waving inbred village teams.

But I don't need to worry about that anymore as Darlo have just won promotion today, only dropped 16 points all season :whoo:

Darlington have a cracking ground do they not?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The old Wembley was a soulless place. Behind the goal you were so far from the action, the players seemed in a different time zone. New Wembley is great though, and you feel right on top of the action.

Aldershot is dreadful, nothing has changed for years. The pitch is usually pretty good though. Worst pitch the Baseball ground mid 70's. Always remember when they had to repaint the penalty spot during the match, as they couldn't find it.;)

I still miss Elm Park, but don't suppose many away supporters do.

user2009

Head Pro
Visit site
Darlington have a cracking ground do they not?

Not anymore, a riches to rags story, it's all gone. The 25k seat arena is now owned by the local rugby club, we groundshare 8 miles out of town and haven't a pot to pee in, makes this promotion even more sweeter in some respects

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
The old Wembley was a soulless place. Behind the goal you were so far from the action, the players seemed in a different time zone. New Wembley is great though, and you feel right on top of the action.

Aldershot is dreadful, nothing has changed for years. The pitch is usually pretty good though. Worst pitch the Baseball ground mid 70's. Always remember when they had to repaint the penalty spot during the match, as they couldn't find it.;)

I still miss Elm Park, but don't suppose many away supporters do.

I loved the old Wembley, If you want miles from the action and a crap view try hamdump. If you are in a row with a letter below aa then the view is appalling.

The baseball ground penalty spot incident was against man city I believe, on MOTD and a what happened next moment :)

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not anymore, a riches to rags story, it's all gone. The 25k seat arena is now owned by the local rugby club, we groundshare 8 miles out of town and haven't a pot to pee in, makes this promotion even more sweeter in some respects

sorry bud, didn't realise that :(

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Give me these old grounds any day of the week. One of the biggest tragedies of modern football has been the loss of these grounds which were the heart and soul of the local community. The new out of town identikit stadiums that are springing up everywhere are an absolute disaster, I don't know any 'real' football fans that prefer them. The post euro 96, sky/soccer am watching, 3 club supporting plonkers no doubt love the leg room and 'facilities' on offer though sure. Not for me, I'll stick with good old Edgeley Park ;)

Spot on

(Although as a Wolves fan, I hate football more than anything right now.)

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disgusting whats going on at the moment. I've never felt this low

I have, 1st to 4th in successive seasons, old north bank derelict and closed, waterloo road stand fire damaged and closed.

Could be worse, you could be going door to door selling pegs and lucky white heather in a baggies shirt :lol: