I think I have a fade with my driver and a draw with my irons

Diamond

Visit site
As a novice I don’t fade my wedges, occasionally my 8 or 9 iron, 7 and 6 iron can fade or slice. My driver was a massive slice due to out to in action.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends what your definition of draw, hook, fade and slice is and where the ball starts.
The way I learned, a draw and hook start right (RH) and a fade and a slice would start left. To do both you would need two different swing paths.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A driver is much longer so it is entirely possible to have a slightly different swing path. Whether it is desirable is all about whether either shape get you into trouble. If not then don't worry about it, call it a quirk :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
or a hook and a slice whichever way you look at it.

Is this possible though or should all your clubs have the same trajectory?

Draw and fade and not synomyms for hook and slice. Draw and fade come from good swing mechanics, the latter pair from not so good. i speak as a recidivist hooker here who swings too much for the inside and depends on good timing.

But it is certainly possible to have different shapes. If the driver shaft was a bit stiffer than the irons, or the driver was a bit flat and the irons upright, you could do that. Do your driver shots start left then slice right, or start straight? Same question for the draw in the irons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
could be i draw everything, but struggle to draw my driver with the matrix white tie shafts, though that shaft goes furthest for me. Had the Motore F1 shaft in the other week a was drawing it again

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me too, driver was a “fade“ (block slice) and irons are either block right or hook.

I have been using the videos by Chris Ryan on iron strikes to make big improvements to this part of my game.

Now I am closing in on a draw, still a little blocky with the irons but the good ones draw back to target.

Driver is now a lovely baby fade about 240 instead of the 220 I had before, I also slowed down my hybrid and driver swings and gained distance, mostly due to the better swing path and correct contact (positive AoA and more middle than heel).

My big fault was coming from the inside, 2-5* inside felt like I was cutting way across the ball, 7-10* inside was normal!

With a bit of work and some good coaching I’m now 2-4* inside on a good swing, just need to sort out the wrists using the Chris Ryan techniques and I will be drawing it soon.

If only I actually had time to play and practice of course, which young family life does not lend itself to..

My 75% FIR of my last round speaks for itself, this was with using the driver 7 times (which is unheard of for me and only one missed the fairway or first cut).