I have the dreaded shermans, help if poss

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so I have developed a case of the shermans with short irons and wedges. Had 6 or 7 in Sundays round and tonight at the range they were appearing all too regularly.

I have been developing my swing path in to out as opposed to my stock out to in fade. Is it a case of overdoing it, too near the ball etc... I am at a loss and have a 36 hole comp friday and not looking forward to it already

thanks in advance

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
got these when the pro got me to hit from the inside,coming over the top caused mine,lots of reasons though,grip to tight,standing to close?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ah...
Now we know - Murph has morphed into G1bbo!!!!!

Sorry Mate, Shermans are a killer.
There's many things that lead to them, probably search on here and you'll find something.
Only really ever had them once, day of Princess Di's Funeral. Played a Medal with just 1 other Guy. On the 11th I Sherman'd 5 in a row OB.
Just walked round from then and marked the card for the other Guy.
Never seen them again.........

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had issues with them over the years, and still have patches on the range; but strangely not on the course.

unlikely to be too near the ball, as with many things in golf it's often the opposite in reality (how do you avoid a slice? - try and hit it right!) .

too far and dipping into the contact area with this as an example.

then there's swaying, failing to turn properly, etc etc

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
so I have developed a case of the shermans with short irons and wedges. Had 6 or 7 in Sundays round and tonight at the range they were appearing all too regularly.

I have been developing my swing path in to out as opposed to my stock out to in fade. Is it a case of overdoing it, too near the ball etc... I am at a loss and have a 36 hole comp friday and not looking forward to it already

thanks in advance

Go back to the out-to-in fade then!

Why did you change? Not playing Augusta soon are you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know when I hit too much from the inside I can tend to deliver the club open and the hosel gets way too close for comfort. Perhaps focus on getting that club face square at impact?

I can then tend to overdo that and come OTT with too much right side going on so have to work back to inside but squaring the club and round and round we go...

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I have them usually every few months its because I am standing too close.

Posted on here a while back when I had them and Bob told me to move my feet back an inch and hey presto they were gone.

I still get a cold sweat on our 12th tee as I went about 4 rounds on the trot this year where I shanked onto the 11th green - now I tend to pull hook into the weeds on the left :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mine tend to come from the weight rocking to my toes so I move a few icnhes forward during the swing and lo the hosel ends up where the sweetspot should have been. Off low and right and a load of naughty words

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i only hit sherman chip/pitches when my head comes up. make sure to stay down through the shot. terrible affliction. good luck ;)

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mine tend to come from the weight rocking to my toes so I move a few icnhes forward during the swing and lo the hosel ends up where the sweetspot should have been. Off low and right and a load of naughty words

Thats exactly what I do. Still do it every now and again and know on the downswing when Im doing it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check to see if you are pushing your right hip and knee out towards the ball at the start of the downswing. This pushes the club outwards and the hozel into the ball.

If you think this may be the problem try bumping the hips to the left as you start down.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
cheers folks, plenty to go with. I think half the problem is when I get one it becomes a mental thing and trying to avoid them makes it worse. As for playing Augusta... I wish haha

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are trying to swing more in to out, I'm not surprised you hit the odd merchant.
Maybe a change to thinking in to in rather than in to out may make the difference.
Good luck

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
recently had a spate of them, quick lesson with the pro and had me feeling I was trying to fade the ball to stop the severe in-to-out path causing mine- still had 1 on Saturday straight into the trees with an 8 iron from a perfect lie in the middle of the fairway, just birdied the previous hole too so cost me a triple, they are the devils work these J arthurs/Merchants/shermans.

Think fade (if yours are caused by too inside-out) and your confidence will return quickly

Watch Luke Donald address for one with his irons yet never does as he wont come from too far inside or over the top.