• pOOR

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • SO bAD

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm 12 and this is my very first post. A month ago I realised the joys of golf and have become hooked. As a beginner I have a few problems but I will just focus on a 2 right now.

First

Okay, I have noticed that I become worse with a (for example) 3 iron and find that I can hit a seven iron farther then the 3. So would I have to do some hand wrist exercises to improve my wrist strength?

Second

Can you recommend some videos for me to watch in order to improve my swing?

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
Well how should I gain more control with the lower numbered clubs and about the lessons, I are going to get some from a club pro sometime next week (so excited). One to one lessons are out of the picture (my dad won't pay). I just wanted to say my handicap for a pitch and putt type of course par 3's all 18 holes. Average length - 90 yards. Hcp - 96 - 1 week later - 85 now need to improve even more so I can say I conquered the pitch and putt at Heaton park.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome Alex.

1. I don't think you need wrist strength to play golf. You shouldn't be trying to push the club through with your wrists. Even if you were fully grown and strong you could only add 1 or 2 mph to the swing by trying to push and the extra tension it would create would harm your swing.
My wrists feel very passive in my swing, and the only conscious thing I do with them is allow them to be relaxed so the club can swing through. All I do is hold on to it.
As said above, a 3 iron is much harder to get a good result from than a 7 iron. A little bit due to the longer shaft on the 3 iron but mostly due to the extra loft othe 7. I think a 3 iron needs to be swung at a certain speed in order to get enough back spin on the ball to keep it in the air for long enough to make it worthwhile using. Just concentrate on hitting the clubs that go well for you now, and as you grow and get stronger you'll find the longer irons become easier to use. Keep it straight and you will score well.

2. I don't watch many videos, but Mark Crossfield and Shawn Clement both appear to talk sense to me.

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
I might as well get this problem out of the way aswell. I feel under pressure to deliver a good shot when I'm at the golf course or driving range. It might be my dad but about 2 weeks ago when I went to the driving range, I was actually shaking like goosebumps. Any stress-relieving tips you can give me before a shot.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i've been playing before you were born and still can't hit a 3i, get your short game sharp and you will become a match for most people ,most of all enjoy it,

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I might as well get this problem out of the way aswell. I feel under pressure to deliver a good shot when I'm at the golf course or driving range. It might be my dad but about 2 weeks ago when I went to the driving range, I was actually shaking like goosebumps. Any stress-relieving tips you can give me before a shot.
just relax,don't grip to tight,some say hold the club like a tube of toothpaste,no tension in the arms,and don't worry where the ball goes at the moment,your lesson next week should help a lot

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to The madhouse,

Get stuck In and ask away. You shouldn't feel nervous to hit good shots we all hit poor ones quite a lot!

You tube will help and look for a junior course at your local club at half term bit late for summer hols now but most will run course during all school hols. Keep plugging area chipping in garden too maybe?

Good luck and enjoy..

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome.

You appear to have realised that a 3 iron is harder to get airbourne than a 7 iron - and I would guess you try to help the 3 iron into the air. A 3 iron still has loft so the ball will take off if you mak the right contact. Pay attention to your set up. Make sure you have the ball position slightly more forward with a 3 iron which will help you to sweep the ball away. You might want to hit a few off of a tee to get the feeling.

As for your nerves, no one is goig to think any worse of you if you hit a bad shot. Your quality of golf dosnt make you a better or worse person. Most people wont actually care about your golfing ability!

Enjoy!

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
just relax,don't grip to tight,some say hold the club like a tube of toothpaste,no tension in the arms,and don't worry where the ball goes at the moment,your lesson next week should help a lot

That sounds very much like the advice that I'm expecting to give my son when he reaches 12 years old.

buggerlugs

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't have a 3 or 4 iron, instead I have a Callaway diablo edge 4 hybrid which I hit between 180 and 190 yards. I find it very easy to hit and many pro's use hybrids these days. I actually got a hole in one 3 weeks ago using that club on 180 yards par 3.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Learn to hit a '7' iron well first. It's a mid iron and once mastered it is the gateway to longer and shorter irons.