I have now done something twice that I have not done in years

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our locker room is open but only one person is allowed in there at a time and the toilets in there have been closed. The toilets adjacent to the pro shop are open.

We have been requested to take our clubs and gear home with us when we finish playing.

For me it was not normal simply because I usually keep my shoes in the locker and our compressed air shoe cleaner and the brushes are close to the locker rooms.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, this applies to all who are changing room golfers, are you likely to keep changing your shoes in the car park after this is over, now that you have broken out, or do you like the process of going inside, changing shoes etc?

It's interesting to see if changed behaviour sticks or whether you go back to your previous behaviour. No judging here, it doesn't matter to me which you prefer.
Weather dependent really - if it's wet or mucky I tend to change in the changing room otherwise travel and play in softspikes.

D

Deleted member 23344

I live just down the road from the West Sussex ... having to change shoes in the car park will give them PTSD after this is all over. I’ve always changed my shoes before a game in the car park, although I tend to shower in the locker room afterwards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, this applies to all who are changing room golfers, are you likely to keep changing your shoes in the car park after this is over, now that you have broken out, or do you like the process of going inside, changing shoes etc?

It's interesting to see if changed behaviour sticks or whether you go back to your previous behaviour. No judging here, it doesn't matter to me which you prefer.
Modern spikeless shoes are fine.
I change in the locker room because we were never allowed in the club in golf shoes .
Old habits die hard.
But it’s easier to do sitting down ,than falling over in the car park especially when it’s raining.
When you lose your balance and get a wet sock that’s not nice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know our course manager is very anti changing shoes, banging all the grass and mud off on to the ground and cleaning trolleys etc in the car park before loading them in to car, simply because it makes the car park look so messy. We do a lot of non golf functions, the car park being the first thing visitors to the club see and having to get out of car in you your nice smart evening wear and stepping in to a pile of mud and grass.

Our car park is on a slight slope and when it rains this all gets driven out on to the driveway and some down the entry to our nine course a lot of which then ups on the bridge across the river.

I do not see the rule changing where I play when we go back to normal.

PaulS

Visit site
This "no shoes changed in the car park" nonsense is out the dark ages, why would anyone care? ?
I believe it’s more down to people wanting others to respect the rules put down by the club - if a club seems they require players to only change in the clubhouse then it’s only right that people follows those rules. Clubs will have reasons for wanting players to use the clubhouse - it’s their club so up to them I guess.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe it’s more down to people wanting others to respect the rules put down by the club - if a club seems they require players to only change in the clubhouse then it’s only right that people follows those rules. Clubs will have reasons for wanting players to use the clubhouse - it’s their club so up to them I guess.

Yes, there will still be clubs who insist on no changing shoes in the car park. If members don't like that, they should be asking their committee the rationale behind that stipulation. It would be interesting to hear the justification - probably "that's always been the rule".

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, there will still be clubs who insist on no changing shoes in the car park. If members don't like that, they should be asking their committee the rationale behind that stipulation. It would be interesting to hear the justification - probably "that's always been the rule".
It's all about keeping the car park tidy and not covered in mud and grass cuttings. It 'lowers the tone' if the entrance to the club is otherwise enhanced with manicured lawns and flower beds. But if a club want the entrance to look nice they should provide good shoe cleaning facilities.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So where do people get rid of all the mud when they have to change in the changing rooms?
I've never seen anyone bang the mud off inside... So the shoes are still getting the mud cleaned off somewhere before they're put in the car.
Outside the locker room door, which is not normally seen when approaching the impressive front entrance of the clubhouse.
Or by the cleaning machine provided by thoughtful clubs.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly ?, ie the same place as they would if they were going straight to the car.
The few clubs that I can picture that still have the rule have the car park at the front and the locker room door to the side or rear and/or a shoe cleaner as you come off the course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We provide a shoe, trolley and and anything else you want to clean area with compressed air blowers and brushes.

The buggy users (own buggies) are able to avail themselves of the clubs pressure washer in the green staff vehicle area.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Exactly ?, ie the same place as they would if they were going straight to the car.

But if you didn’t have the rule, then lazy inconsiderate selfish members, of which all clubs have many, would walk past the compressors and brushes and bang their shoes in the car park leaving it looking a mess, for who to clean up?

We spend good money on quality compressors and brushes so we expect members & visitors to adhere to our request (signs) as to not change in the car park.

Currently I’m driving to the club/s in my Ecco’s, but I have a foot locker in the changing room with various styles of golf shoes to suit different conditions otherwise.

We also supply polish & dubbin to clean shoes (black & brown) post round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So where do people get rid of all the mud when they have to change in the changing rooms?
I've never seen anyone bang the mud off inside... So the shoes are still getting the mud cleaned off somewhere before they're put in the car.
We have an air blowing machine that would normally be functioning but obviously off at the moment. Takes all the mud and grass off in an enclosed space and then brushed by the clubhouse cleaning staff at the start of each working day. I agree with the comments saying it goes back to creating a good first impression for visitors although in this day and age, I think if someone wants to visit a club they won't pay too much attention to the car park. If the club holds a lot of functions like wedding receptions or parties and needs the business then I can see how a good first impression is more important

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At this time of year I'd be wearing my summer shoes (Nike Roshe G) so don't even need to change them, just turn up wearing them.