• Penelope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bugs Bunny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems the Government are trying to make the abolition of the ID card scheme extremely difficult for any new government after the next election.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8104481.stm

I had to laugh when I read this part of it...."Jacqui Smith said she was regularly approached by people who said they did not want to wait several years to register for an ID card."
This is someone not in touch with reality I thought, but then again, maybe it was me who is out of touch.

So, A poll it is...

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have an ID card. Need it for my job.

I have no problem having one and feel that the country needs to do something.
Not necessarily the best option and the "big brother" thing is worrying but how else can we keep a track on "new arrivals"
If it makes it easier to expel, then i'm all for it.

All my opinion of course and the government is my pay master but I do agree with it.
HID doesn't BTW

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm FOR I.D. cards. It's got to happen eventually, so I say bring it on.

Security, Fraud, Serious Crime, Petty Crime....if I.D. cards help even in a small way, I think this is enough of an argument to counter-balance the "liberty" lobby.

Not for U18s, and certain data excepted......

A card with basic stuff, ok, a card with sensitive personal details including religious beliefs/political allegience/h'cap! - NO, NEVER...... :)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I have no issue at all with them, like mono, I feel those with nothing to hide have nothing top worry about.

I do object to paying for them though. Want to ID us all, then supply them.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Okay. My one and only post on the subject. Just so that I don't get drawn in again!! And by that I don't mean that I think my word is the 'last word'. Just in case someone gets any funny ideas!

To be honest I could argue it either way. However I'm inclined to say why not.

Reasons being.
If the Government or Police or MI5 etc want to know what we're up to, where we've been, what we're likely to do then the technology already exists to 'track' individuals. Internet use, mobile phone signals and triangulation to track your location. Bank and credit card transactions to reveal your location, likes and buying histories and patterns. Do you realize just how much Tesco's know about your buying habits and lifestyle if you use their Clubcard!

What I'm saying is that, short of having an ID card, we're pretty much there already! Which of course you could use to argue the reasons for not having one, as much as you could for having them! Which brings me back to my earlier position of arguing on either side of the debate!

Those that use the 'civil liberties' argument for not having them is missing the point completely. 'They' already know who and what we are.

The only real argument for not having them is that law abiding citizens will have them, and the 'other's' won't. And surely it's the 'others' that the 'feds' are after!! In which case why have the ID cards in the first place.

I'm neither for or against them. But I don't think ID cards will 'solve' anything.

Phew!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my take on it.
The reason Mono is wrong (in my opinion) is that the reason he gave may be ok with today's government, but what if another government comes in and wants to use them in a different way in the future. They could be used for a fascist government to restrict movement of a certain race for instance. The last person to introduce ID cards for this reason ended up with a hole in his head in a Berlin bunker BTW.
Also,the first right you have if arrested is the right to remain silent. That means you are not legally bound to reveal anything about yourself to anyone about anything. If these cards are brought in, you give up your first right, as it will be compulsory to carry these cards at all time, detailing your name, address, relatives and possibly where you've been and what you've bought.
YOU ARE GIVING AWAY RIGHTS THAT WERE FOUGHT FOR!
It's all very Kafkaesque and I, for one am dead against them.
That is all.

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Father was in the Army, so it was compulsory for me to walk the streets as a Pads-Brat with an ID Card, so when I Vote Against the ID Card, WHY!!!

Its all down to costs, the Goverment are due to make money from such a scheme.......Yes, SCHEME!!! I have nothing to hide, but to offload my hard earning on a Card that will mimic my Driving License is Daylite Robbery, if the Goverment want to give me a ID Card then I would be happy to take one.

Have you checked how much your License costs to renew....I would take a look.....

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
What a waste of money, Im not just as bothered about the human rights side of things, Its the actual impracticality of them. I used to lose my bus pass when I was 15 almost bi-monthly. My wallet has been left behind in a bar before, my car keys have been misplaced for days at home (they could have been anywhere though) and If I ever commit a horrible crime, im not willing to leave my card at the scene to let folks know I did it (thats a joke btw). Now times that by a few million and you can see how cards can get into the wrong hands and it all turns into a bit of a farce.
Now, say for instance DNA recording came in, Id be against that for sure would be a magnet for abuse.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im against them, not as a basic ID card but the info encoded into them and their potential use by both the authorities and criminals. It will only be a matter of time before serious criminals get the technology to copy and once they do, the pro ID card lobby will not be happy if they are arrested for crimes they have not committed.

Now thats the extreme end of future possibles.
What is the reasoning FOR ID cards of this type? I dont see anything more than a quick method of monitoring people and their movements, habbits etc, there is more than enough ID requirement in life today.
Name
Address
DOB
Driving licence
Library ID
Company ID
Letters
NI No
Army ID
Training course licence IDs
Book club card
Credit cards/Bank cards
Utility bills
Bank statement
Passport

Now I could keep this list going for quite some time, but I dont want to wear out my key pad.

I have seen zero sensible justification or reasoning for the huge expense of this nonsense idea, when a simple law change making everyone carry an acceptable form of ID they currently have is all thats needed.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
If the Government or Police or MI5 etc want to know what we're up to, where we've been, what we're likely to do then the technology already exists to 'track' individuals. Internet use, mobile phone signals and triangulation to track your location. Bank and credit card transactions to reveal your location, likes and buying histories and patterns.

All the things you mentioned agencies are already able to get so an ID card has little difference to your statement.

Do you realize just how much Tesco's know about your buying habits and lifestyle if you use their Clubcard!

Tes, but then again I am not a liberal living in fear of knowledge.

Many countries have them and in my eyes if it cuts down on illegals, crime and makes the police's job easier to do their jobs then I am all for it, the only part I am against is the cost part.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
the government want us to be there sheep thats what new world order and id cards is

so im out!

Since waterloo you and we have always been taxation sheep, nothing will change in terms of being a "sheep" with ID cards, just more moaning for the flock.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
the government want us to be there sheep thats what new world order and id cards is

so im out!

Bang on. A vote for ID cards is a vote to have our liberty slowly removed. Look at the state the US is in because the Bush administration used 9/11 as propaganda to drive fear deeply into the heart of his people and remove one civil liberty after another...and watch them mindlessly thank him for it due to brainwashing. The declaration of independence is now meaningless.

You want a police state? Vote for ID cards.