I cant use the 3 wood or driver

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver is a totally different swing to irons. Just be patient, a lot of people struggle with driver at first and just stick with irons and maybe hybrids. I know you want to be hitting bombs but it does take a lot of practise to get the set-up and the mechanics of the driver swing right.

Did my lesson today was again chipping in on to the green but this time opening the SW and lobbing the ball high up, ended up getting it at the end but was tricky at the start. Pro said I probably should pick up a 60 wedge instead of opening up the Sw so grabbed a 60 wedge today.Also said about finding it hard to use wood and drive so hes going to start working on the 3 wood with me next week. I am really enjoying the 3 lessons a week and two days at range. I like to go into things full steam ahead, i really want to be playing maybe 3 days on a full course and 2 days lessons probably in the next 3/4 weeks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did my lesson today was again chipping in on to the green but this time opening the SW and lobbing the ball high up, ended up getting it at the end but was tricky at the start. Pro said I probably should pick up a 60 wedge instead of opening up the Sw so grabbed a 60 wedge today.Also said about finding it hard to use wood and drive so hes going to start working on the 3 wood with me next week. I am really enjoying the 3 lessons a week and two days at range. I like to go into things full steam ahead, i really want to be playing maybe 3 days on a full course and 2 days lessons probably in the next 3/4 weeks.
It's great that you're keen. People who have lessons normally say it takes a few weeks/months to bed in and practise the ideas from each lesson though, that's why they'll tend to only have one every few weeks. If you have a few lessons a week you might be trying to work on too many things at once.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sounds like your pro should be struck of the PGA register (n), assuming he's a pucker pro now.

Opening up the face on a sand wedge, and being recommended a 60* lob wedge for a novice, is ridiculous!

When you first learn you should be learning how to hit an full iron shot properly, work on some putting, basic chipping, and then move onto hitting woods when you have the hang of the irons.
Lob shots are some of the hardest shots in the game, which some experienced players struggle with. I'll bet there are more people on this forum who don't have as much loft as 60* in their bags, as do.

Sounds like your pro should be struck of the PGA register (n), assuming he's a pucker pro now.

Opening up the face on a sand wedge, and being recommended a 60* lob wedge for a novice, is ridiculous!

When you first learn you should be learning how to hit an full iron shot properly, work on some putting, basic chipping, and then move onto hitting woods when you have the hang of the irons.
Lob shots are some of the hardest shots in the game, which some experienced players struggle with. I'll bet there are more people on this forum who don't have as much loft as 60* in their bags, as do.
To be fair he did say the lob shot with the SW was a more advanced shot but i have been pretty bang on with the SW,PW and 9 iron so far and he was saying he couldn’t believe I hadn’t played golf before. He was also saying he wanted me to get all the different shots down from around the green as it will help alot when i start to play.

RandomReload

Visit site
Chipping on is definitely important and a staple within everyone’s game, my pro has gone in the opposite direction with me, he’s shown me how to use my 5 iron to bump the ball onto the green (more like a putter shot/stance) and then for further distances we’ve exclusively worked with the PW and applied a clock-face swing (6 o’clock is the ball, then my back swing going to 7, 8, 9 o’clock etc depending on distance), I guess this would be a 1/4 or 1/2 swing but I really like the clock analogy and it’s really easy to work with as it’s something we are already familiar with in day-to-day life.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
This just goes to show that there is no "one size fits all" method of teaching. Different people respond to different methods (myself, I like to be described a feeling or motion my pro is trying to get me to do). If the OP is happy with his progress, then carry on. Sounds like his teacher is teaching from the hole back, which seems sensible. I do agree that you may be having too many lesson close together without enough practise time between in order to get the correct feel and motions embedded in your muscle memory, but that's just a personal opinion.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My son started golf at 10 and is now 13, he had group lesson every week for 2 years and now has a 2 hour lesson every 2 weeks in a small group.

I was a self taught golfer with a swing like I was playing cricket :)

After 18 months of watching him develop I had 6 lessons and changed my swing so it now works correctly, Since then I have had 3 additional lessons when I felt things were out of sorts.

I wish I had lessons and a swing from the start rather than a changed swing, my son's swing is awesome developed from the start and adjusted as he got better based on lesson feedback along with lots of playing and practice as well. He is now playing off 12 and watching him hit a golf ball 275 yards with his driver is very satisfying when I remember him hitting it 75 yards with a hybrid.

The main thing we do is we play lots, both for fun and with comp rules. We practice the lessons a lot even on the course, if a change is made or an adjustment we still play and if the rounds are poor we are still working to improve, one thing that has always been hard is when he struggles and it's not going well and this does happen as he gets better, sometimes he goes backwards to go forwards and managing that is never easy but when he, as now hits an upwards trend it is so worth it. He will hit scratch in the future and I will never be below 10 but I love watching him develop and am as jealous as hell of his swing.

As to hitting driver and fairways, I always found fairways easier to hit both from a tee and off the deck and the driver took longer to get good with but ocne you can do it it is worth it, it just takes time and be patient is never easy.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get yourself a one iron
You can use it instead of driver or three wood particularly on tight holes and If you learn how to master opening the face to play delicate lobs instead of a sand iron or sixty degree wedge reliably you will be well on the way to having a decent short game.
(This may not be conventional advice)

D

Deleted member 1147

Get yourself a one iron
You can use it instead of driver or three wood particularly on tight holes and If you learn how to master opening the face to play delicate lobs instead of a sand iron or sixty degree wedge reliably you will be well on the way to having a decent short game.
(This may not be conventional advice)
Well, if we’re recommending 1 irons and lob shots with 60* wedges, why not go the whole hog and suggest he buy Ping Blueprint irons. That’ll ensure he has to learn to hit the centre perfectly every time.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, if we’re recommending 1 irons and lob shots with 60* wedges, why not go the whole hog and suggest he buy Ping Blueprint irons. That’ll ensure he has to learn to hit the centre perfectly every time.
He's just starting out, one club at a time is what is needed, master the one iron and the rest will fall into place.

Johndfc14

Visit site
Back in the days of persimmon woods I remember as a youngster, I had been dabbling in the game for about 2 years before I used a 3 Wood never mind a driver off the tee . I remember my dad starting me off with a 5 iron on the tee and slowly building myself to the 5 wood .. infact I used a 5 wood on most holes for well over a year until I could be confident of a reasonable strike and only then was it it when I progressed to a 3 wood which I then found I could use quite comfortably. That gave me added confidence to take on the driver pretty quickly after using a 3 wood . It took me about 2 years but it’s all about confidence building I suppose .