Hybrids!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening all,
As iv changed my irons i need to do another reshuffle on my bag as regards my lofts.......
I recently got my new Cobra S2's 5-SW and the lofts are pretty strong....This i dont mind as they are pretty similar to my old wilson Di7's.
5 Iron loft is 25 deg(similar to most 4 irons)......
As im looking to put some hybrids into my bag im considering dropping my 18deg 5 wood and my 21deg hybrid to get more consistent lofts......
Im thinking maybe getting a 4 iron at 22 deg's and getting a Cobra baffler 3H at 19 deg and maybe a 2H at 17deg.....
Im presuming the 17 deg would be easier to hit and more forgiving than my 3 wood and probably just as long.....
I dont use a driver at the moment.....

I also need to reconsider my wedge system as now i have a 9 degree gap between my PW and my 52deg.....This is far too big....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
See if you can make do for now. Pointless getting all worried until you discover there really is a problem.

I played against a chap who only used a rescue most of the way round. Rescue, rescue, pitch, putt (1) most of the way round.

He did hit irons (of course) but only on the short holes and then he tended to 2 putt (thank goodness). I looks to me; reading your post, that if you just drop the 4 iron you'll have a 25* 5 iron/21* rescue and 18* 5 wood.....that's fine.

If you have space for the 4 iron, keep it in and see if you feel it's some use some of the time. Apart from tee shots on par 3s where my 4 iron is spot on the right club, I just use it for tee shots on short holes and tactical lay-ups where accuracy is more important than distance.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Consistent lofts are almost irrelevent Kid - its how far you hit them. Consistent distance gaps is what's important. I've currently got a 4 and 5 wood only 2 degrees apart but the 4 wood goes 20 yards further than the 5 so the gap is what I'm looking for.
The 17 degree hybrid will probably be shorter and harder to hit than your 3 wood. Lower lofted hybrids tend to be harder than the correspondingly lofted fairway wood. A lot of Pros carry a 19 or 17 but not many take a 14/15 out.

I say keep what you've got and work with it for a month or 2 to see if the gaps really are there - then have alook at it. Oh - but you do want to get a 48 degree wedge in there asap. That's a gap that does need plugging.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
See if you can make do for now. Pointless getting all worried until you discover there really is a problem.

I played against a chap who only used a rescue most of the way round. Rescue, rescue, pitch, putt (1) most of the way round.

He did hit irons (of course) but only on the short holes and then he tended to 2 putt (thank goodness). I looks to me; reading your post, that if you just drop the 4 iron you'll have a 25* 5 iron/21* rescue and 18* 5 wood.....that's fine.

If you have space for the 4 iron, keep it in and see if you feel it's some use some of the time. Apart from tee shots on par 3s where my 4 iron is spot on the right club, I just use it for tee shots on short holes and tactical lay-ups where accuracy is more important than distance.

I like hitting the long irons from tee's dave....

I dont use them much off the fairway and its mostly off the tee like yourself from par 3's in the wind the wind......At the moment my 5I which has 25 deg loft gets me bang centre of our 4th par 3 which played 175mtrs yesterday in very light breezy conditions......
the 3H would be too long there unless its howling......
We have a 197mtr par 3 over a lake that the 3H is about 10mtrs short of on a calm day....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I say keep what you've got and work with it for a month or 2 to see if the gaps really are there - then have alook at it. Oh - but you do want to get a 48 degree wedge in there asap. That's a gap that does need plugging.

Ya Imurg that 9 degree gap is massive.......Cobra do a 50deg Gap wedge thats part of the set but sell this seperately(another marketing ploy i presume) as there SW is 55 degs.....

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't see how you're going to notice a huge difference in your hybrids for the sake of 1*.

If you're good enough to be able to play that accurately, I'd see how your first year on tour goes, before signing up a club deal. :)

T

thecraw

Hybrids are never as long as fairway woods either.

I guess it all depends on the length of your course and the hole designs as to what's more suited to your game and eye!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't see how you're going to notice a huge difference in your hybrids for the sake of 1*.

If you're good enough to be able to play that accurately, I'd see how your first year on tour goes, before signing up a club deal. :)

Not a bother Crap!......
Would you consider carrying the bag for me :D :D :D