Hybrid

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for a hybrid.

It needs to be forgiving and help me keep it straight. I haven’t had a hybrid for a few years as previously tended to hook with the club.

I want to use off tee and ground.

C

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It won’t matter which club you use, if you put a shonky swing onto it, it’s going to be shonky

What are the clubs in the bag either side of the hybrid? How far do they go , how far do you need this club to go?

Go hit some and see what feels best,

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

agreed about the swing - although i am more consistent with irons.

Current bag set up below. Not completely happy with heavenwood

Ideally hybrid to go 180 as I have a par 3 that length that I haven’t got a club for....

Driver (10.5’) 225-250 yards
Heavenwood (20.5’) 200-210 yards
5 iron (23’) 160-175
6 iron (26’) 150-160
7 iron (30’) 140-150
8 iron (34.5’) 130-140
9 iron (39’) 120-130
Pitching wedge (44’) 110-120
Sand wedge (54’) 70-80
Lob wedge (60’) 50

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
In reality the majority of us "less skilled" amateur golfers are managing a slice, so the manufacturers tend to design left bias into their more forgiving offerings.
You could try items notionally targeted for better players.
E.g. picking one popular manufacturer
Apex, Mavrik pro
Also some have adjustable weights like the M3

https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/taylormade-m3-rescue-hybrid-review-3949.aspx
https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/callaway-apex-19-hybrid-review-4235.aspx

As has already been mentioned, it's usually more "the archer rather than the arrows" though

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's loads of offerings out there. Given your gaps I'd go with a 4 iron replacement hybrid and if you're not keen on the heavenwood look at a 2iron/3iron replacement.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's loads of offerings out there. Given your gaps I'd go with a 4 iron replacement hybrid and if you're not keen on the heavenwood look at a 2iron/3iron replacement.

Would make sense to me. If the OP wants to go down the brand new route then it has to be worth going somewhere and trying a few on a monitor and seeing if a) it goes straight and b) gives you the distance for the specific par 3

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried a lot of hybrids, eventually found the one I could hit was Ping G25. So I would recommend Pings - but that might just be me. You probably just need to try a few out and see what works.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for a hybrid.

It needs to be forgiving and help me keep it straight. I haven’t had a hybrid for a few years as previously tended to hook with the club.

I want to use off tee and ground.

C

I got a Ping G400 hybrid last year. Once I've gotten to grips with it, I'd say it has really changed my game in terms of taking more shots on. Have no obvious issues hitting it left or right - my poor drives tend to go right and poor irons often turn left - but this is probably the straightest out of the longer end of the bag.

I'm now happy playing it most long approaches, where previously I might have laid up and even hit it out of the rough now and again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Big fan of hybrids having taken the 4 and 5 irons out and replaced them with the equivalent hybrid. I took a punt on the G400 model off Golfbidder and got lucky that I really liked them (and their condition exceeded the description). If the OP can find a model he likes then I think it'll make a real difference. Finding that "one" is the hard part and I guess nothing beats hitting as many as possible

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thanks that’s what I am thinking something like a 19’ hybrid