Hybrid help please

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been working hard at my game for about a year now and it's getting much more solid, after plenty of ups and downs. I have had a course of lessons, and regularly practise my drills at the range and short game areas. I am happy now, with having a decent shot off the tee, and my irons last night were the best I have hit them. However, what was formerly my fave club in the bag, my G20 23deg hybrid, now hooks round to the left every time I use it. What the eck is going wrong?!?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not an expert (so arguably shouldn't be commenting), but I hook my hybrid left when I swing too hard. A nice smooth swing with the hybrid gets a good result for me. If I swing too fast I get too wristy, try to help the ball in the air, smother it and send it low and left.

I try to imagine I'm hitting a 7 iron when I use mine.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what was formerly my fave club in the bag, my G20 23deg hybrid, now hooks round to the left every time I use it. What the eck is going wrong?!?

if you take your ball to target line, is the ball starting direction mostly to the left of that target line & then curving further left?

or is the ball's starting direction to the right of that target line then curving left back towards target before continuing to curve left as it keeps going past target?

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
or is the ball's starting direction to the right of that target line then curving left back towards target before continuing to curve left as it keeps going past target?

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, flight is more like the above.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, flight is more like the above.

assuming because the other shots are mostly okay that the grip is not a ways too strong with either hand. but there could be a few other things coming in to play you could have a look at :

- just check distance standing away from the ball.
if you've crept further away from the ball could simply be your hitting the ball off the toe with your swing path that's coming from inside to out. any club at address when you're in posture left hand on handle you should be able to get your right fist plus thumb up between handle & thighs. in to out swing path hit off the toe because the toe got to ball first so face a little ways closed to your swing path plus you'll get the 'gear effect' kicking in, off the toe that will mean ball will tend to move right to left.

-make sure when you set up it's the bottom leading edge of the hybrid your lining up square to target line, not the line across the face at the top, crown.

- check ball position has not crept a ways too far back in the stance that would close your shoulders so swinging a ways from inside to out, plus if you don't then really rotate the hips out of the way & keep turning the body through but the shot more of a throwing the arms hands & club at the ball, if your hips don't clear & your body stops that slows the arms/hands down so an overtaking shaft & clubhead with the face closing down gets to the ball first.
means your clubface then closed to your in to out swing path & it'll overdraw (hook) some.

the above could also still be happening if ball position is okay, but the hips/body stop rotating so the same as above will tend to happen.

- make sure your transferring your weight to the left at start of transition, if you come down & leave your weight on the trail foot/leg tends to get the arms/club stuck behind you which will mean you then come into impact from a ways inside with the weight on the right side that again will tend slow arms which are also turning over because the body the left side is in the way, so the shaft & clubhead again overtake the arms/hands some while the face is also closing down.
-make sure as you take the club away you are really turning & not swaying right with the weight going onto the outside of the right foot.
with the hybrid get your ball position so it's more off your chest where you'd hit a 4i or 5i from, so not too far forwards but not off the center either, make sure you turn back not sway, feel you get your weight gently onto the lead foot at start transition then feel you swing down with your arms & club more in front of your chest, make sure you keep turning through impact & feeling much more that you are swinging to the left through impact. you can put a headcover or rolled bag towel the other side of the ball around an 1" away & do the above, having an obstacle there will stop you swinging too far from the inside to the right through impact because if you do, you'll hit it. just start swinging at 60% at first to get used to it.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks to canary and coach for their replies. I have got back on board with the hybrid. Really concentrated on shouder turn and nice smooth swing keeping wrists quiet.