Hybrid Hacking !!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last few rounds I've struggled with contact on my hybrid and 3/5 woods. Topping the 3/5 badly and if not a top then a bit thin. Not quite so pronounced with the hybrid but not a nice contact at all. My last round on Xmas Eve was improved with the woods as I simply focussed on a relaxed swing and descending blow but my hybrid sucked and was really hitting it fat.

Now the G20 hybrid is really giving me some heartache and not sure why. Previously my Mizuno MX950 hybrids were a delight to hit and I looked down on them with confidence. I really don't like the shape of the head of the Ping and realised during the last round when I needed to hit over a bunch of conifers that I simply didn't believe I could get the ball airborn enough.

I have a lesson early in Jan but wonder if anyone (Bob :)) can give any advice to work on before then? Is it perhaps the offset? Should I be hitting it with the swing thoughts I have for my irons? Or should it be a wider arc and more of a sweep??

Or should I ebay it and move on ?!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've given up totally on hybrids and fairways for exactly the same reason, no matter how I try I cannot get a solid contact with them. 3 and 4 irons no problems at all, long and straight but put a wood in my hand and it's a total disaster. I have a block of lessons booked but not holding out any hope for much of an improvement. I'll just have to conceed defeat with the fairways.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can hit hybrid club. Either way. If you feel happier with an iron type swing go for it. I alway sweep them more like a 3 or 5 wood. But I also tend to sweep my irons to, take little or no divit. My hand to ground distance is not much and I did not want to have shorter clubs. So its only the short irons that I have any tendancy to hit down with.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Last few rounds I've struggled with contact on my hybrid and 3/5 woods. Topping the 3/5 badly and if not a top then a bit thin. Not quite so pronounced with the hybrid but not a nice contact at all. My last round on Xmas Eve was improved with the woods as I simply focussed on a relaxed swing and descending blow but my hybrid sucked and was really hitting it fat.

Now the G20 hybrid is really giving me some heartache and not sure why. Previously my Mizuno MX950 hybrids were a delight to hit and I looked down on them with confidence. I really don't like the shape of the head of the Ping and realised during the last round when I needed to hit over a bunch of conifers that I simply didn't believe I could get the ball airborn enough.

I have a lesson early in Jan but wonder if anyone (Bob :)) can give any advice to work on before then? Is it perhaps the offset? Should I be hitting it with the swing thoughts I have for my irons? Or should it be a wider arc and more of a sweep??

Or should I ebay it and move on ?!

There's enough clues in there to lead me to believe it's a mental thing more than a swing fault.
You were confident with your mizuno so swung it with ease.
Your not confident to get your pings airborn so try and help them up.
This often leads to keeping the weight on the back foot trying to "help it up"
Hence the thin and fat (if that makes sense)
Your club is bottoming out before the ball so either hits the ground (fat) or the ball on the way up (thin)

Swing with commitment, drive through the shot and trust the loft to do it's job.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. Just walked and thought on my walk with Max and it is a mental issue with how it looks for sure. I never liked the look of the head from the G15 onwards but hoped, like the irons, the quality of strike would expel that and it hasn't.

It makes sense (now I've read it) that the same flaw results in such a different result (fat or thin) so that's a relief as less to think about (worry about)! It took quite a number of lessons to stop me flipping at the ball and think when I lose confidence and have doubt I'll revert to that.

Playing on Wednesday (and Thursday, and Friday, and...you get the picture) so will also get some range practice and get my weight through and commit to it.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again....

Oh - a PS though. The offset?? Paul has me with some forward shaft lean at address (butt of club at say left belt loop not belly button) but not sure if I should be doing that with so much offset in the club??

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont worry about the offset unless it starts heading off to the right.

Thanks Bob - very much. I'm looking forward to getting out on the course and getting the hybrid out having read your advice which makes perfect sense :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you still can't hit it, I understand why, it is ugly as sin.
You could flog it to Smiffy, he loves them ;)

Have you tried the G10 hybrids or raptures?
Much nicer to hit and similar to your Mizzy

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you still can't hit it, I understand why, it is ugly as sin.
You could flog it to Smiffy, he loves them ;)

Have you tried the G10 hybrids or raptures?
Much nicer to hit and similar to your Mizzy

It is indeed VERY ugly - what were they thinking?? David has G10's and have been looking on Ebay for those or G5's or Raptures in the right shaft and loft. Would really like to get the ugly one working but if I can't then it's for sale !

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i really struggle with hybrids, half my shots are either hooked or topped

tried for over a year to hit them, finally gave up as they were costing me shots in competition
now i use a 5 wood instead, its a revelation

i think for me its was to do with the shorter shafts in the hybrids but trying to hit a sweeping type swing that leading to lots of tops and hooks