Humpbacks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Something magnificent about both Humpback and Killer Whale pods!
One of my earliest memories was reading a book about symbiotic relationship between a KW pod and Whale hunters in New South Wales. KWs used to flop around in the harbour when other whales were observed, then harry the pod so the part-time whalers of the port could hunt them. Their reward were the lips of any killed. Only a few taken per month, so no conservation issues.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Something magnificent about both Humpback and Killer Whale pods!
One of my earliest memories was reading a book about symbiotic relationship between a KW pod and Whale hunters in New South Wales. KWs used to flop around in the harbour when other whales were observed, then harry the pod so the part-time whalers of the port could hunt them. Their reward were the lips of any killed. Only a few taken per month, so no conservation issues.

What a horrible story.?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What a horrible story.?
Conservation wasn't an issue when the book was written (1930s). There were few, if any, factory ships. I'm definitely anti-Whaling now - and have been for decades.
The whole commercial fishing industry is finely balanced these days - at least from my understanding of it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have seen whales a few times during my time in the RN. Especially when down south around the Falklands and South Georgia. Amazing creatures. The journey they make every year from south to north to give birth is mind boggling. Then swim back down south where the food is more plentiful. Having seen first hand the whaling stations on South Georgia I’m not surprised that the whales became endangered. Some of the buildings down there are like aircraft hangars.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Saw plenty of KWs (and Humpbacks) in Kaikoura when wife(2) and I went on a whistle-stop tour home one Summer.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Competing with them?

The killer whales generally come alongside when we are hauling our nets,Gordon Buchanan was off with us filming killer whales for the bbc a few years ago , he had a underwater camera and we were very surprised when we watched the footage, the killer whales sucked the fish in one by one.

As I said that is the first time I have seen humpback whales.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Went on a whale watching trip out of Boston US of A a few years back. The captain was telling us what to look for. Over the tannoy. We were all stood looking hundred, two hundred plus yards out to sea for these whales. After a couple of minutes I looked straight down and this bloody great big whale was yards under my feet. I was just gobsmacked at the sheer size of them. Truly a memorable moment.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
A wee bit disconcerting when your son sends pictures of him working underwater and this is the safety boat with an Orca lurking in the background!

KQkNxSE.png