How well does your handicap travel (2) - since GPS/laser

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but has your ability to play well on new or other courses increased since you have bought a GPS or a laser. Personally I think mine has, and matchplays can now be tighter at away courses, as the previous advantage of "knowing" a course is not as relevant. Years ago, course architects used "tricks" such as bunkers fore-shortening holes visually, carries of water etc. So yardage guesses was mainly done with the naked eye and yard markers, but with the extra accuracy, I find I can play quite well on new courses. I used to struggle with new courses up to a few years ago.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I didn't play away many new courses before I got my GPS but I'm certain that what you say is true.

Just having confidence in the yardage makes all the difference when playing to a green you've never seen let alone played before.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gps laser do make a differance knowing exact yardage, not sure it makes it an different that a decent course planner for an away course. I still buy one despite having distance measuring gadgets. Find it easier to look at a he view on tee in a book rather than a screen.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I also buy the course planners when playing great courses, for distances off tees and such but also as a keepsake.

I still think that when your GPS says 145, or whatever it is, and it gives you accurate info, it makes you commit to a shot more. Before GPS's there where always some holes where you thought, that never looks say 145 yards, and sometimes you would trust your eye and club incorrectly. Also with some greens being 50 yards long, it can also help with being able to move the pin around on your GPS to get an accurate pin yardage, which is very imprtant.

That is even before the extra info/pictures like the shape of the hole, extra info for yardage etc.

All in all, I think that the GPS's have helped to level the playing field for people visiting courses for the first time. OK, you still can't beat a bit of local knowledge, but a lot less now, IMHO.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yes, i've noticed it makes a huge difference. a confidence and commitment-to-the-shot thing i didn't used to have much of when playing away courses.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Use my GPS home and away. I agree that playing new courses, the nuances of course design with false fronts etc does make it hard to trust your eyesight and the GPS does at least give an accurate number. Still have to play the shot of course