How well do you know your members lines??

V

vkurup

On our 5th P5, I tend to lay up at about 150-170y.. that is because we have too many fairway bunkers that cut across between 140-110y mark.. my usual 7i is about 145y. However on our 5th, with 160y to go, if I use anything more than an 8, the ball will sail past the green into the clag on the other side. I have only two explanations for this ..

1) there is an unseen cross wind in that section that will take the ball further in the air

2) the green and the fairway in front is rock hard, so the ball will bounce and run off.

So after a few lost balls and plenty of dropped shots, I have figured out that the best way to play is to hit an 8i about 15y short and see the ball run up to the green and wait for a three putt... A true member knowhow..

Any secrets at your local course?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On our 5th P5, I tend to lay up at about 150-170y.. that is because we have too many fairway bunkers that cut across between 140-110y mark.. my usual 7i is about 145y. However on our 5th, with 160y to go, if I use anything more than an 8, the ball will sail past the green into the clag on the other side. I have only two explanations for this ..

1) there is an unseen cross wind in that section that will take the ball further in the air

2) the green and the fairway in front is rock hard, so the ball will bounce and run off.

So after a few lost balls and plenty of dropped shots, I have figured out that the best way to play is to hit an 8i about 15y short and see the ball run up to the green and wait for a three putt... A true member knowhow..

Any secrets at your local course?

The 5th is the Par 4 with the big tree by the green? Sounds like you're describing the 15th?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our "11th/p5/520yd" I've finally sussed how to get one under on it, I take a "3 wood" off the T and then another "3 wood" to put me 15-20yds short of the green then my 56* wedge onto the green to leave me with an 18" putt, well that's how I did it on Friday anyway though whether I could do it again remains to be seen !...:thup:

V

vkurup

The 5th is the Par 4 with the big tree by the green? Sounds like you're describing the 15th?

No.. this is the 5th on my new course.. Merrist Wood. The 5th on Hoebridge has a tree guarding the green..

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 10th at my place is a 245 yard par 4. Every ounce of me wants to try and green it, but because there's a road running along the left edge of the fairway and green it always end up a tad right. You're then left with a tricky chip downhill and a bunker waiting if it's playing fast. I've been bringing out the 5 wood and coming up short on the left so the my second in is hitting into the hill. Turned a bogey hole into a par.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our 5th. With any wind play 2 clubs more than the distance - especially with flag towards the back. It's all uphill with a short steep climb up to the green - and you come out of the shelter of the trees. and the wind swirls. If you are short - even on the front of the green - you will not hold and run back down the slope and be left with a horrid chip or pitch back.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
15ty at mine is one of those strange holes. 167 yards and it always plays 1 or 2 more club than you think. I've checked it with a laser and a GPS, the tee box yardage's are correct.

The only possible explanation is behind the trees at the back of the green is an airfield and the wind must blow above the trees and kill the ball.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only been a member a year at mine and it's slowly dawning on me which holes are a club more or club less- relative to my GPS- either its the reading that's incorrect or due to slopes. I take wind into account so can only assume it's the slopes that cause the differences

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've only been a member a year at mine and it's slowly dawning on me which holes are a club more or club less- relative to my GPS- either its the reading that's incorrect or due to slopes. I take wind into account so can only assume it's the slopes that cause the differences

I'd bin your GPS - they are useless when it comes to making human judgements :)

V

vkurup

Our 5th is the same.. it is perfectly flat.. GPS will read 160y and I will be 10y behind the 150y marker post and I can easily get there with an 8i rather than a 6i. If I can feel the wind on my face, then I could get there with a 9i too.. absolutely no idea how I do it. My theory is that there is wind above which does this.

V

vkurup

I've never played Merrist Wood, is it any good?
I heard that it was under water recently and suffers a bit like Traditions does when the weather turns poor.

Merrist is good.. It used to be underwater during the winter months, but I hear that the new greenkeepr has done a good job with drainage. Havent seen it at work, but Dufferman convinced me otherwise. Tradition ALWAYS seems under water - esp the 5th.. so i avoid it.

However, at the moment, we need some water as the fairways are burned out, baked and bone dry.. I hit a 292y drive last weekend - landed in the middle and kept going!!! (good for the ego). Let me know if you want to play, we can get together

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Merrist is good.. It used to be underwater during the winter months, but I hear that the new greenkeepr has done a good job with drainage. Havent seen it at work, but Dufferman convinced me otherwise. Tradition ALWAYS seems under water - esp the 5th.. so i avoid it.

However, at the moment, we need some water as the fairways are burned out, baked and bone dry.. I hit a 292y drive last weekend - landed in the middle and kept going!!! (good for the ego). Let me know if you want to play, we can get together

I will take you up on that. Won't be for the next few weeks as I've just been on a stag do, have that wedding coming up and need to spend some time with my daughter. But I will definitely be up for playing it and would hope to get out in August.
Thanks for the invite VK!