How to improve decision making in the course...

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am desperately seeking to reduce my handicap (currently 5.0) and have lessons regularly, practice as much as life allows. However I feel that my game is not always at fault.
For instance, I struck the ball really well on Sunday but ended up with a poor score as (I now think) that I chose to play the wrong kind of shot in a certain situation. Is it my decision making that is limiting me rather than my swing?
Apart from having a playing lesson, which I think is going on the "to do list", can anyone recommend some tutorials or books that they may think could help?
Cheers
Nick

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bob Rotella's books have really helped me and I still refer back to them. There are loads of alternatives out there though so take a punt. Check out the main online sources such as the larger magazines as many of them work with the top psychologists/coaches and pro's and there's lots to learn.

Find a way to play with better players though, this is fast track way to see how it's done. There's also some good general info on the England Golf website (under the performance section) which should be a good prompt to search specific areas of interest to you further.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rotella's books are ok, but tend to repeat themselves.

A lot of it just comes down to common sense.

My simplistic approach is just based on how comfortable I am hitting the shot that's needed, then I'll factor worse case scenario if I hit my 'bad' one.

If I'm comfortable and minimal risk then i'll just go ahead.

If the pin is maybe one side of the green, near water or bunkers. Then I'll shoot middle or left side. If i still don't feel confident with the shot I'll just go down clubs and lay up short and give myself the easiest chip I can.

Off the tee I'm the same. How do I avoid the trouble, even if it leaves me a longer club in. On tough tight par 4's I'll happily hit 7i, 7i and wedge if that's the percentage play.

If I do get in trouble how do I minimise the damage and but still give myself a chance to save par. (I get a lot of practice at this one :D)

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Nick

I'm in a similar situation, off 5.7 and wanting to get into cat 1.

As mentioned above, Bob Rotella's books are very useful. I've been working hard to remember all the best shots I've hit when stood over the ball, rather than worrying about last weekend's duck hook OOB.

Even if I'm 12 points at the turn, I try to remember the reason I'm there... to enjoy myself :)

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
The best advice I can offer on this is to use a 2 step though process, but you have to be completely honest with yourself.

Thought 1 - Am I capable on todays form to pull off the shot I am looking at?

Thought 2 - What are the consequences if I don't pull it off?

If you answer no to question 1 select another shot option and start again, if the consequence of step 2 out way the potential benefits, find another option

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am quite new still but I think the approach to improving is the same ish.

When I come across a situation which left me unsure if I picked the right shot I take note of it. I will then use that situation as part of my practice and hit a few different option on the practice ground, that way I can challenge my instinctive shot choice after the fact to learn. On the actual course I take carls approach

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To best bits of advice I was given/heard one shot at a time (Sandy Lyle) - a birdie is not a birdie until the balls in the hole.

Do not write the winners speech whilst you are still on the golf course.

On a personal note what kept my handicap at 6 for 20 years was things like avoiding sucker pin positions ie keep the 'safe' side of the flag, not taking on once in a lifetime shots when I had a good score going.

What stopped me going lower was probably because of all the injuries and an inability to put in the necessary practice, age and a length of shot according with age. I stopped being able to reach the par 5s in two by the time I got down to 6.

As to books I only read one which really changed my game - Timothy Galwey's Inner Game of Golf.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How disciplined on the course are you O/P?

There is the answer right there. It's nae good thinking like a pro on your approach shot to the first to then go back to your usual self a few holes later, it's out and out discipline mentally on every single shot, Tiger was not only the best player but miles ahead of them all mentally.

A point that was also made is very relevant, playing with better players, it's massively difficult to give it 100% on every shot when your pp's are chapping about or your helping them find their ball on every second hole, you have to be absolutely selfish and concentrate only on yourself.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can hardly remember a round where bad thinking didn't cost me at least a shot. Looking back over the last few rounds:

1. forgot to allow for the crosswind just because I couldn't feel it.

2. Aiming for a left pin when I know I have a tendency to pull my iron shots.

3. Taking 3 wood out of the semi when I know I can't reach the green with it.

4. Missing a three foot putt low side when all I had to do was hit it firmly (how many times do I have to do this before I learn!?)

I'm sure everyone could improve almost every score just by thinking a bit more before hitting the shot. I'm certain that I could.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is the answer right there. It's nae good thinking like a pro on your approach shot to the first to then go back to your usual self a few holes later, it's out and out discipline mentally on every single shot, Tiger was not only the best player but miles ahead of them all mentally.

A point that was also made is very relevant, playing with better players, it's massively difficult to give it 100% on every shot when your pp's are chapping about or your helping them find their ball on every second hole, you have to be absolutely selfish and concentrate only on yourself.

Personally speaking I know there's a considerable difference on those rounds where I'm 100% disciplined compared to those when I go through the motions (it's so easy to get lazy and make bad decisions)

Admittedly I don't always stick to it but I find the 3 boxes method useful:

Box 1 - decision making (check lie, wind, yardage, assess required shot / target etc)

Box 2 - practice swings (feeling the shot you want or positions you need etc)

Box 3 - focus on target, address ball and execute without delay and without any doubt or uncertainty

We all know there's nothing worse than being over the ball in 2 minds which always leads to a stupid mistake

The idea of the above method is to keep the 3 stages separate. By only moving to the next stage when we are 100% ready helps stop those clouded thoughts and uncertainties which are a guaranteed killer

Hopefully this will be helpful to some

Most of us probably follow it to some degree already (consciously or subconsciously), but when things get muddled (when we're tired, bored, or too up, or too down) it's good to have a strict process to follow

HTH

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm the world's worst when it comes to making stupid decisions as to what's achievable, if I think I might be able reach the green then I'll usually to go for it.

Case in point on Sunday, on the first hole I'd hit a very poor tee shot into a poor lie in the rough leaving about 170 uphill to go, a pond to carry and OB down the right, sensible thing to do would be to wedge out and go for green in two, especially as I had a shot. But no, I pulled out the 6 iron as this had the best chance of getting the ball out of the rough and airborne, then tried to smack it onto the green, OB.

What works for me, when I remember, is to imagine that I'm advising a playing partner on what shot they should hit from my lie, taking on the role of caddy if you like.
Straight away then I seem more able to weigh up the pros & cons and come to a realistic shot choice.

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site

Completely agree with this. I was stuck on a 12 HC and spent most of my Sundays looking for others balls or helping them count up their scores for particular holes.

Admittedly, I got slammed for my attitude.... But I'm now off 6.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Completely agree with this. I was stuck on a 12 HC and spent most of my Sundays looking for others balls or helping them count up their scores for particular holes.

Admittedly, I got slammed for my attitude.... But I'm now off 6.

Definitely some merit in it
Playing with decent partners where there is a good flow to the game definitely helps!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't had more replies, for me its one of the most useful and informative threads for a long time.

:thup: