How to hit my hybrids?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got 3, 4 and 5 hybrids, but have only started using them recently. The 3 and 4 are new, the 5 I have had for a while but very rarely used it, as I was slicing it horrendously 90% of the time.

I was advised to stand up a bit taller and closer to the ball, and am now hitting them pretty straight, and a long way (for me), but other than the odd shot, the ball fails to get any height and runs along the ground.

My question is should I be hitting down on the ball like you would with an iron, or should I be trying to hit it like a wood?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've never really got on with hybrids or found one that I liked that I could hit better than my irons. When I went for my fitting at Callaway, I talked over hybrids with the guy there. He said that as I have quite a flat lie (2 flat) most hybrids don't lie flat enough (maybe that's why standing more upright worked). Eventually he found that a Big Bertha hybrid, which could have it's lie adjusted worked although I was still tending to push/fade.

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grab your 7 iron. But a few balls with it. Now grab a hybrid and put the exact same swing on it with the exact same ball position.
Nothing needs to change much.

Hybrids can be big the same as long irons or short iron and can't be hit low and high as well. Just fiddle until you find what works.

I carry irons down to a 5 and then carry a 23 and 20 degree ping hybrid.
I can hit them low or night depending on what I want to do. Just play the ball in the same position as your 7 iron and go from there.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I bought my irons in AG, they got me to try a hybrid as well. The advice was to hit it like an iron and not like a wood.

I have stuck with that simple advice and it has worked well for me.