How to hit a golfball with uphill or downhill lie?

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey,

I hit my 7 wood awful yesterday. This is a club that is reliable as clockwork. I realised that the lie was below my feet.

How do you practice hitting a golf ball with uphill or downhill lie?
Have you got any tips for this type of shot?

Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey,

I hit my 7 wood awful yesterday. This is a club that is reliable as clockwork. I realised that the lie was below my feet.

How do you practice hitting a golf ball with uphill or downhill lie?
Have you got any tips for this type of shot?

Thanks
Find a slope on practice ground I use the practice bunker the back not the sand.
Biggest one is try and set up with the slope .
So (righthanded golfer ) downhill lie try and keep shoulders level with slope.
Uphill lie will be right shoulder down a bit ,this makes the club swing on the same line as the slope and not just hit into the ground.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My tips are probably wrong, but if the lie is below my feet I tend to bend my knees slightly more and aim more to the left (because the ball will naturally bend to the right). If the ball is above my feet I will grip half an inch further down the grip and aim to the right (because the ball will naturally bend to the left).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My tips are probably wrong, but if the lie is below my feet I tend to bend my knees slightly more and aim more to the left (because the ball will naturally bend to the right). If the ball is above my feet I will grip half an inch further down the grip and aim to the right (because the ball will naturally bend to the left).
that sounds like ball above or below you feet i think he is asking about uphill or down hill lie.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Find a slope on practice ground I use the practice bunker the back not the sand.
Biggest one is try and set up with the slope .
So (righthanded golfer ) downhill lie try and keep shoulders level with slope.
Uphill lie will be right shoulder down a bit ,this makes the club swing on the same line as the slope and not just hit into the ground.
This..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
isn't that the same thing?
I would take uphill/downhill to mean sloping towards or away from the green. Rather above or below feet which is to one side of the fairway. But I'm not sure which version OP meant to be honest, I just went with below feet as he mentioned that specifically.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would take uphill/downhill to mean sloping towards or away from the green. Rather above or below feet which is to one side of the fairway. But I'm not sure which version OP meant to be honest, I just went with below feet as he mentioned that specifically.

Either way your feet are above or below the ball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
isn't that the same thing?
no, if you are on an up slope or a down slope the ball is level with your feet, you are adjusting your alignment to match the slope where as ball above or below your feet to either stand more upright and grip down for above and flex the knee's below.

but as Orikioru says, title says one thing but post says ball below

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
no, if you are on an up slope or a down slope the ball is level with your feet, you are adjusting your alignment to match the slope where as ball above or below your feet to either stand more upright and grip down for above and flex the knee's below.

but and Orikioru, title says one thing but post says ball below
You're right, it seems he was talking a little at cross purposes but I just answered the bit about 'below your feet' that he mentioned. :)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Splitting into 4 scenarios very basically:

Ball Below Feet:
Aim left, bend knees more and if anything distributed weight a touch more to heels.

Ball Above Feet:
Aim right, grip down shaft depending on extent, weight more on toes.

Uphill Slope:
Play ball more forward in stance, address parallel to hill, aim a touch right.

Downhill Slope:
Play ball more back in stance, address parallel to hill, aim a touch left.