How to go about club fittings?

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Boredom at worked has led to this curiosity..

In a few months i'll be wanting to upgrade my very old hand-me-down set of irons (brand: RAM. No idea what model!)

I've had a couple of lessons and have been told that it would be a good idea to upgrade. I'm thinking the newer technology and clubs specifically made to fit me will allow me to progress better, and not engrain any bad habits caused by compensating for ill-fittings?

I've taken golf very seriously this past year, the biggest jump joining a club in Feb, meaning i play every week and my consistency has been getting much better. I've been dedicating a lot of time to practice too and seeing some nice positive changes.

So here's my plan. I want to buy new irons, but I'd like to get fit for them to really make the most of the change.

My problems (i've not approached or asked around yet, as i'm not in a position to buy. As i say, just curiosity at the moment):

- I'd love to support my pro shop, but the limited choice makes me wary. I could get a fitting and order from the shop?

- I live close enough to the Gainsborough Ping fitting facility, and really do like the idea of this.. but i'm limited to Ping products.

- To go to a shop like American golf gives me lots of options, but I'm not sure if I'll be given enough time, the best clubs for me, and as i say i'd like to be fit personally. So will i be able to play with shafts and will they sort me out for lie angle etc?

Am i missing something? I'm tempted by a tour truck day advertised on American Golf, but not sure how these work. Will i be given plenty of time with a fitter to try out many different combos? And do they allow me to order clubs to be made up and delivered there and then?

Thanks!
Callum

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Hi all,

Boredom at worked has led to this curiosity..

In a few months i'll be wanting to upgrade my very old hand-me-down set of irons (brand: RAM. No idea what model!)

I've had a couple of lessons and have been told that it would be a good idea to upgrade. I'm thinking the newer technology and clubs specifically made to fit me will allow me to progress better, and not engrain any bad habits caused by compensating for ill-fittings?

I've taken golf very seriously this past year, the biggest jump joining a club in Feb, meaning i play every week and my consistency has been getting much better. I've been dedicating a lot of time to practice too and seeing some nice positive changes.

So here's my plan. I want to buy new irons, but I'd like to get fit for them to really make the most of the change.

My problems (i've not approached or asked around yet, as i'm not in a position to buy. As i say, just curiosity at the moment):

- I'd love to support my pro shop, but the limited choice makes me wary. I could get a fitting and order from the shop?

- I live close enough to the Gainsborough Ping fitting facility, and really do like the idea of this.. but i'm limited to Ping products.

- To go to a shop like American golf gives me lots of options, but I'm not sure if I'll be given enough time, the best clubs for me, and as i say i'd like to be fit personally. So will i be able to play with shafts and will they sort me out for lie angle etc?

Am i missing something? I'm tempted by a tour truck day advertised on American Golf, but not sure how these work. Will i be given plenty of time with a fitter to try out many different combos? And do they allow me to order clubs to be made up and delivered there and then?

Thanks!
Callum

Just about every club goes the same distance nowadays as long as they are the same loft. So you won't really find one that goes further than another and I'm willing to bet you will hit a TM 35 degree club just as well as you will hit a Ping 35 degree club or Callaway 35 degree club. Might be worth just having a mosey to a big store and see which ones look best to you. Then see if your local pro shop fits them.

But personally if the quality of fit is important to you then I'd do the Ping option as you will get a quality custom fit and their G range are renowned as one of the most forgiving and well engineered clubs. Plus they will keep their value better than most manufacturers and their release cycle is not as frequent as some, if that is important. Worth checking you don't violently dislike them before you go ahead, but that's what I'd do. But other opinions are available.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would (and did for me) prioritise the fitter experience/ credentials over the choice of clubs. In your case it seems to be the Ping centre. Otherwise, what's the point of the fitting if you can't trust what they are measuring and interpreting?

D

Deleted member 16999

Bit of everything to be honest, see your pro, go try clubs at AG or wherever, try and narrow down what tempts you and see who/what gives the best option, once sorted see your pro to do the fitting or AG to arrange the fitting for you at the Brand you're going with, just keep an open mind and use all info/places available to you.

D

Deleted member 15717

First, do research on the clubs. Find a set or two that you really like the look of. Firm believer that if you like the look of the club you are using, then it is half the battle. Once done, then go to somewhere like AG and try the clubs out, and then find somewhere that can offer the personalized fitting locally. No point ending up with some shovels if you don't like the look of them

Most of all, enjoy the whole experience!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a look for demo days in your area. Many top names will go to local ranges or some AG stores and you can try most of the latest offerings, and the guys that run these are pretty good and will guide you well. Try as many as you can and get a shortlist. After that, the decision is really where you want to get fitted, either at a top end facility like Ping HQ, a high street retailer or a club pro. Enjoy trying and if you decide to take the plunge you enjoy the new clubs

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can try searching for independant custom club fitters that do the not so well known brands or independant companies/fitters that have majority of brands and will fit the best according to your swing.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Go try some clubs out at demo days / AG. This will at least give you a view in length, lie, grip size etc. Also give you a feel for the type of club you like the feel of - cavity back, head size, etc.

Armed with the basics you can then narrow your search down to your shortlist. There are several independent fitters you can go to who will fit for different brands vs specific ranges in a single brand.

All you then have to do is hit it in the net the same way you do on the course.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buy pings, can't go wrong as long as you got to a decent stockist.

If you want the fun of a fitting day then go for it, I've heard it's quite enjoyable.