How to avoid Scottish Midges

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello to anyone in Scotland, or has played in Scotland in summer. I have heard a lot about midges and I am planning on going up to to Scotland driving along the west coast and then jumping on a few courses on the islands this summer. Does anyone know when the midges are out in force and are there any courses which are really bad for them? I know mossies don't do windy links as their crappy wings can't cope - is this the same for midges?

B

birdieman

If it's breezy you're fine, midges have to live near damp places. Early morning and evening are the worst times before the breeze kicks in. If it's high pressure weather and sunny you're ok too. If you play links courses like Macrihanish or The Machrie I dont think you'll be bothered much as they a re sandy and free-draining. However more inland courses like Fort William are very damp and you'll be devoured on places like that.
Incidentally the best repellant is not Jungle formula or anything like that, it was discovered by accident and is called 'Avon Skin so Softly' -can be found in most pharmacies - a fragrance designed for women but now used by Army etc to cope with midges! Dont worry you will not get any funny looks when you ask for it!

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening is particularly bad. Also courses with ferns such as Lamlash on the Island of Arran: great wee course but you will just get eaten alive. birideman's post is spot on for the best thing to use to try to deter them.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone know what it's like at Loch Lommond? Am heading up there for the round of the year (beeen imagining it for months!) but will i get eaten alive? Please tell me not!

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice - will definately be avoiding twilight tee times as tend to get eaten alive by most beasties.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might notice them in the early evening. Went down to Loch Lomond for the Scottish Open last year and noticed the wee buggars loitering near the water towards the end of play. It'll depend on the weather though. Pray for blazing sunshine! I hope you get it. Very envious.