How often do you change your irons?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never been fitted for anything before, my swing is not very repeatable so hopefully wont make any real difference.:oops: I need some pxg shineys in my life, come on, ebay I have some readies waiting ;)

I meant getting SH PXG, the whole idea of PXG is they are fitted very very finely to the customers spec, hence all the little screws around the edges. so you would end up wuth something completely unsuited

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
This.....

I change mine when I feel I want to.
There's not always a reason.
Sometimes just because.....

Currently have some Apex CF16's (about 2.5 years old now) but there are now a number of irons out there that are visually appealing enough and could potentially offer performance improvements and as a result I have started experiencing that tingly feeling called upgradeitis.

LGC2019

Visit site
I'm playing with some old Titliest CB 710 irons that i got second hand about 6/7 years ago. When I do buy a new set (hopefully this year) I'm looking at some brand new fully fitted Titliest/Mizuno's which I expect I will be using for the next 10 yrs.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you believe that BS?
120% :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TBF, i think it would be worth it if you were a very accomplished player, 3 or below. A guy i play with who doesn't change clubs very often unless there are significant gains recently changed. he is off +1 and the results for him were conclusive better dispersion grouping was it for him. way better than Ping and Callaway.

i personally wouldn't be bothering with my swing;)

Last edited:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I change roughly every 3 or so generations. Had G5, G25 and now G. Skipped G400 and G410, but will probably look very closely at G420 (or whatever they're going to be called). Keep hoping I'll get good enough for some "i" irons instead of G, but hasn't happened yet.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a serial changer. Probably had 20-30 sets over the last 8 years. Some new, some old. Some custom fitted, some not..

Daft (and a bit long) story behind my current set..

I got custom fitted for a set of P790's last summer. Was playing Ok with them. Long irons were great. Short irons were a bit so so.. Anyway, I decided I wanted to start regripping my own clubs to save money (as I like changing grips every year or so) and I didn't want to practice on the 790's so i found a set of 714 CB's on the 'Bay that I thought would do as a winter set. I regripped them and then put them in the garage.
The day before visiting Wallasey and Royal Liverpool I decided to clean my clubs (proper clean). I then decided to play 9 holes at my Club, but didn't want to get the 790's dirty.. No problem, I'll use the CB's.. Shot level par round my gaff, played better than years at both Wallasey and Royal Liverpool, and have done ever since with the CB's.

Moral of the story, CF'ing works for some and not for others. The CB's are in the bag for good and the 790's are for sale..

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every few years generally, but it's not like I put a note in my dairy when the new ones arrive, I'll just fancy a change after a couple of years and will start clicking around the variouse websites aimlessly until eventually I pull the trigger on something.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don’t change too much - got my first set Nike Ignites 11 years ago , they lasted me 4 years , then bought a set of R9 of the shelf - hated them so 4 months later bought a set of TMTP irons - they last 5/6 years until last Feb when I got the Mizunos and I expect I will have these for 5 odd years

Some people like to change every year some still use the same set 10 years later - all down to personal preference

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
had a 4 year cycle of irons until 2004. loved the mcgregor 1025mc so much that they stayed in my bag for 10 years - and they are still inside my travel bag. 2014 changed to titleist ap1/2 combo set. mainly because distance was in decline with increasing age, so i changed to graphite shafts. still use these irons and i am not considering to change in 2019.
still own a set of 1991 mizuno mp11 which i use occasionally

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've had my Taylormade Speedblades now for 4 and a half years. A year or so ago when I was hitting the ball really well and one of my local clubs had a good offer on some AP2s, I tried them out... That day I wasn't hitting the ball so well and that's where you really see the big difference between improvement irons and anything else - even a slight jump up to something like AP2s I apparently couldn't handle :D

Yesterday I was hitting the ball down the range brilliantly, and I daresay I could have hit any clubs well - but it's when you're not hitting the ball well that you start to notice all the help put inside the Speedblades.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know really. When I came back to golf a few years back I was using my old Slazenger starter set. Then in August 2016 I got new irons, which were 'Callaway Warbirds' but in all honesty they weren't massively better than the Slazengers. Decided to get a nicer set in January 2018 and got my current XR Steelheads. So had them a year now, and no plans to change them, as I think they're great. So I could have them for another 2, 3, 5 years, who knows.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm currently playing with a set of Callaway X14 Pro series which date back to somewhere around 2001 ish. I've changed clubs several times since but not found anything that works better for me so the old Cally's go back in the bag. I've had Orkas, Nikes, Mizunos and Cobras since I bought them.
Had the X14s regripped a couple of months ago which probably doubled their value :eek::ROFLMAO:

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Some change they’re shinies quite often then by the looks lol .My current Nike vapor pro combos are about 5 years old now had them from new Had a couple of sets of older irons but gone back to the nikes even with my love hate relationship with them just feel unless I’m swinging really well they’re hard work so will be changing them when I make my mind up finally.Had a couple of demo days hitting the p790s etc but nothing really made me pull the trigger so going to hit some of the latest offerings again to see if anything takes my fancy and more so something with easier to hit long irons .

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a set of Cleveland CG16 irons when I first started playing again just over 8yrs ago, after the head came off a couple I replaced them with the Mizuno Jpx825 set I have now, which are around 6yrs old.

Got a landmark birthday coming up in a couple of weeks so I may go for a fitting and get some new irons, no idea what, just go for the fitting and see what works best.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a set of Cleveland CG16 irons when I first started playing again just over 8yrs ago, after the head came off a couple I replaced them with the Mizuno Jpx825 set I have now, which are around 6yrs old.

Got a landmark birthday coming up in a couple of weeks so I may go for a fitting and get some new irons, no idea what, just go for the fitting and see what works best.
Happy 70th Dave :ROFLMAO:, senior shafts.(y)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my 850 forged’s 3 years now and while I did contemplate a new set this year I think I’ll wait until there’s a deal on the new 919 forged. Thinking of a split set...