How often do you change your irons?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
How often do you change your irons ?what are you latest irons and have they made a impact on your scores if so why?just a curious post as I see a lot of people changing they’re irons on a regular basis does it make that much of a difference if they are fit properly in the first place ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not as often as I'd like. I moved to the I series last year but I'd like to change again and get something more recent still. I think it would need to be a custom fit (think graphite could help but need to test that out) and I'd need more distance and tighter dispersion to make it worth while. I will be looking at the G410 soon and think they could make a difference but also feel I'm looking for looking (and buying) sake

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Every 2-3 years usually, hit a lot of balls so my 7 iron down end up with brown wear marks on the faces, had my current set just under a year and the 7 and 9 iron are already starting to show the brown wear mark but I'll keep them probably until this time next year and get the newer model

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I have the urge or when the set no longer suits me.

Some sets I do not sell on and go back to them from time to time. One set dates from 1992 and were back in use for a few years around 2005 until about 2012 and I reckon they are still the best clubs I have ever owned but they are cast clubs with square grooves chew up the balls.

One other set dates from 1995 they have graphite shafts and were used for about 10 years.

Current set were bought a couple of years ago because I wanted to go back to clubs with small heads in the shorter irons sim 2 the ones from 1992.

Wolf

Visit site
Got the Cobra One lengths in November and loving them tbh can't see me changing for a fair while. How often I change depends on finances and what I really fancy.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Initially when I started to play golf (2014), I bought a beginner set of clubs for around £200 which included a stand bag, think they were called Fazer Blizzards, this was just to get me started and to see if I would catch the bug. 2 years later I bought G25 Driver through to G25 SW which have served me well, unfortunately now there is weights missing from most of the irons so will be looking to change these to the new Ping i210's hopefully by the end of this month. Ideally these new clubs should last me at least another 5 years and take me down to a single figure handicap.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
At least once a year for the last 12 years until Jan last year. Bought a set of Titliest AP3's. They're not perfect, mainly in the short irons, but the longs irons certainly work exceptionally well. I'm happy with my scoring in the last year, including shooting under par for the first time since 2013.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
At least once a year for the last 12 years until Jan last year. Bought a set of Titliest AP3's. They're not perfect, mainly in the short irons, but the longs irons certainly work exceptionally well. I'm happy with my scoring in the last year, including shooting under par for the first time since 2013.

The secrets finally out about low scoring. I'm off to get some new clubs !!!!!!;)

D

Deleted member 21258

Havent changed my irons for years still got my x14s, I struggle to get what is the point in changing cast irons?

Do fancy a set of 2nd hand pxgs tho.:oops:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Last changed mine two years ago. I had Ping G15's for about 5 years prior to that. Have been in the depths of golfing hell since I changed, and totally blamed it in the new clubs.... of course! Thought about getting rid of them last year and going back to Ping, but after embarking on a serious project to fix my swing, I have been shown the light and convinced to keep my clubs. My teaching pro was telling me just last weekend, that they are the best irons Callaway have produced (CF16 APEX) and I should be a lot better with them in the not too distant future :eek:. Probably just in time to switch to something new and shiney.......o_Oo_Oo_O

D

Deleted member 21258

surely then you would end up with a set that were fine tuned to someone else?

Never been fitted for anything before, my swing is not very repeatable so hopefully wont make any real difference.:oops: I need some pxg shineys in my life, come on, ebay I have some readies waiting ;)

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've had mine for years... Wilson fluid feel blades from waay back in the day, things of beauty I can't part with.Having said that I had them reshafted last year with Dynamic gold AMT so they're "upgraded" rather than replaced... until the grooves are basically flat they stay in the bag