How much?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are a number of issues here. If a club is a top 100 you are looking at the best (whether you consider that to accurate and it deserves a top 100 place is a different debate) and so any associated membership requirements such as waiting lists and joining fees are a premium attached to being a top club. It's down to the individual to decide whether that premium is worth paying compared to the lower costs and easier access of other clubs in the area. Personally my club is a normal members club (albeit with a Royal prefix) but are significantly cheaper than the likes of The Berkshire, Sunningdale and Wentworth which are top 100 and all have a joining fee and waiting list. Without doubt the others offer a significantly better course and facilities but I wouldn't change where I am while it represents value for money and while I'm happy with the condition and challenge the course offers that all I want.

I'm fairly certain that while clubs are operating a waiting list they are comfortable with the numbers coming and going over a year and are budgeting accordingly and it gives them the option should really lean times along to waive joining fees to get members in. I doubt that will happen as long as these clubs are well managed

D

Deleted member 18588

Oh I know that and yes it is a 7 day v a five day but there is no way I could warrant paying £1600. Even he thought it excessive. However there are nearly 420 men who are prepared to pay that as he told me it is nearly full. So there are people that think that sum is worth it.

And that's the point; there are sufficient people prepared to pay that level of subscription.

As has already been said the argument is akin to complaining about the price of upmarket cars.

Whilst the mfr is selling enough units then they can justify the price.

The members at Sherwood could perhaps pay less but they may find their access to a great course being restricted due to more visitors and society golfers being needed to balance the books.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't actually know if my gaff is a top 100 but it's better than a lot of others that are in it. Still doesn't have the audacity to ask for a joining fee and the staff are outstanding.

D

Deleted member 16999

If some of these top courses were in different parts of the country there is no way they’d survive asking the fees they do, the market and clientele wouldn’t be in the area.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
In North Leeds we have a few, some are top end like Moortown, Alwoodley, Sandmoor, Headingley and Moor Allerton but for me and the missus paying double we need something more realistic for our budget and especially handicaps. We joined Wike Ridge with no JF and really like it, no clubhouse cliques, friendly staff a decent all year course and very progressive and constantly developing and expanding the site, would we pay a joining fee? Nope, would rather have a holiday and spend the cash on lessons and kit at the club.

D

Deleted member 18588

If some of these top courses were in different parts of the country there is no way they’d survive asking the fees they do, the market and clientele wouldn’t be in the area.

Have you ever been to Mansfield or Sutton in Ashfield?

If there is sufficient demand in that part of the world then I would imagine there would be support anywhere.

D

Deleted member 16999

Have you ever been to Mansfield or Sutton in Ashfield?

If there is sufficient demand in that part of the world then I would imagine there would be support anywhere.
Yes mate, Mansfield a couple of times.
I’m not saying the courses themselves are not good, but look at the fees around London and what they charge for Corporate memberships etc.
It’s no different to everything else in life, we have million pound homes here in the NE, but nowhere near the amount there are down south.
I feel sorry at times for the average person down south and the higher prices they pay for a lot more than golf and as much as wages maybe higher it doesn’t compensate for the divide.

Wolf

Visit site
It’s no different to everything else in life, we have million pound homes here in the NE, but nowhere near the amount there are down south.

One of the huge deciding factors in us moving from Kent to Lincolnshire this week, house prices are outrageous near where w wkive the average 1 bed shoe box goes for 175k+, houses being built in the village we're moving from cheapest 3 bed is 450k..

Where we're moving to this week the average 4 bed house is 210k and a lot larger than what we can get down here.

I feel sorry at times for the average person down south and the higher prices they pay for a lot more than golf and as much as wages maybe higher it doesn’t compensate for the divide.

Trust me in some places the wages are not higher.. I'm moving jobs within the same company on the same salary yet the pound goes a lot further where we're moving to, down here I lost any chance of regular golf or membership because it simply wasn't an affordable for thing for me to do. Whereas I'm now going to be able to start playing as a member again, Mrs Wolf can start competitive skiing again and we have a bigger home and more spare income for future.

Not everything down south is rosy, higher outgoings and stagnating wages except for high rollers in the city.

D

Deleted member 16999

One of the huge deciding factors in us moving from Kent to Lincolnshire this week, house prices are outrageous near where w wkive the average 1 bed shoe box goes for 175k+, houses being built in the village we're moving from cheapest 3 bed is 450k..

Where we're moving to this week the average 4 bed house is 210k and a lot larger than what we can get down here.

Trust me in some places the wages are not higher.. I'm moving jobs within the same company on the same salary yet the pound goes a lot further where we're moving to, down here I lost any chance of regular golf or membership because it simply wasn't an affordable for thing for me to do. Whereas I'm now going to be able to start playing as a member again, Mrs Wolf can start competitive skiing again and we have a bigger home and more spare income for future.

Not everything down south is rosy, higher outgoings and stagnating wages except for high rollers in the city.
Like yourself mate a Sapper and was more than happy to leave the South, I did put wages maybe higher and on average they are, the problem comes when you live near London without London wages, but have to live on London prices.

Wolf

Visit site
Like yourself mate a Sapper and was more than happy to leave the South, I did put wages maybe higher and on average they are, the problem comes when you live near London without London wages, but have to live on London prices.
Literally can't wait to leave the south for those reasons work life balance becomes more equal and cost of living goes way down, you're not wrong there about London living costs outside of London

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My opinion on joining fees is simple. I ain't paying one. No Sir, you can shove your joining fee and I'll go elsewhere is my answer.

A lot of these clubs are short sighted and will eventually end up reducing or waiving the joining fee in time. It will come as their membership gets older and dwindles away. It may "buy you loyalty" in the short term but long term all the potential members you have turned away could bite you. For every member that you sign up on joining fees you are loosing at least 15 potential members. That figure came from a friend who is a golf course managing secretary. His club has now done away with their joining fee and has seen a considerable rise in the percentage of enquiries converted into actual memberships.

I play at a Scottish Open venue and they didn't charge me a joining fee. I sure as heck am not going to be paying one elsewhere. Too many backward thinking clubs up here.

If I am looking to join a Golf club and there is a joining fee well I will pay it. Why should they let people in for nowt when other existing members have paid to join. 2 of my club's have a joining fees currently which are set at £1000.00, one has a waiting list the other you can join at any point.

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Literally can't wait to leave the south for those reasons work life balance becomes more equal and cost of living goes way down, you're not wrong there about London living costs outside of London

Apart from house pricing and perhaps golf course prices, what is more expensive in London?

Tesco is same price all over the country. Ford focus the same price, petrol for it the same.

When i go to pubs in Manchester or Liverpool a pint still cost a fiver.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If I am looking to join a Golf club and there is a joining few well I will pay it. Why should they let people in for nowt when other existing members have paid to join. 2 of my club's have a joining fees currently which are set at £1000.00, one has a waiting list the other you can join at any point.

Because simple economics will come into play at some point, either this year or 5/10 years down the line.

Only a matter of time before they're all axing joining fees apart from potentially the cream at the top.

Wolf

Visit site
Apart from house pricing and perhaps golf course prices, what is more expensive in London?

Tesco is same price all over the country. Ford focus the same price, petrol for it the same.

House pricing, council tax pricing, transportation costs getting to and from work, congestion charges of you want to use that Ford focus. Yes supermarkets are going to be like for like but general living costs of keeping a roof over your head and going to work in the Kent London commuter belt are growing year on year far quicker than salaries are.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If I am looking to join a Golf club and there is a joining few well I will pay it. Why should they let people in for nowt when other existing members have paid to join. 2 of my club's have a joining fees currently which are set at £1000.00, one has a waiting list the other you can join at any point.

May I suggest you spend some money on lessons rather than on yet another golf club ;)

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Because simple economics will come into play at some point, either this year or 5/10 years down the line.

Only a matter of time before they're all axing joining fees apart from potentially the cream at the top.

I guess until then we will continue to pay them if we want to become a member of said clubs.

D

Deleted member 16999

Here’s just one link,
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/london

Wide range of costs and activities and currently the most expensive City in the UK, 4th in Europe, 12th in the World.

This one compared London to Manchester.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...ndon&country2=United+Kingdom&city2=Manchester

Wolf

Visit site