How much knee flex?

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bit of a curious one here....

With my stance I have struggled to find the right combination of a few things... One being how much flex should you have in your legs.

Now with me I'm 6ft tall so when I try to stand as upright as I can with a club in my hand, at address I feel I'm all arms to strike the ball and there's little room to turn properly. Now if I lean over a little to create space for the body to turn into the ball I feel a lot better but I have to flex my knees a little more and it feels like I'm almost squatting down. But after seeing the pictures I've took of myself it isn't a squat but more of an increased knee flex.

I've also noticed Kaymer distinctively flexes his knees more than some of the others. Westwood on the other hand is quite tall and closer to the ball. Furyk actually sits into his shot almost how I feel I do (but from my pictures I'm not like that)

Sorry to ramble on but how much knee flex will be too much and should there be a 'normal' amount of flex??

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some, lots, a little.

Did you not answer your question by saying that Kaymer flexes more that most? Is it not dependent on different things, so will be different person to person?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you flex too much you might need longer shafts. I am 5'10 and I think the standard shafts I have are a tad too long as I struggle to get "over" the ball enough.

I do not have a lot of knee flex but I do stick my arse out more to help me get over the ball. This will help me gain distance and improve strike.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have answered my own question as mentioned..

I went and played yesterday and felt the room I create by flexing a little more than 'normal' just works for me and I'm going to stick with it. I think the problem I have is that in my head I think I'm really sitting down on the shot but after seeing the pictures I know I'm not and I need to remember that.

I do actually use 1" longer shafts on my irons. But my knee flex is to create room for the body to turn through the ball and not because I can't reach the ball which it might of sounded like in the first post.

Cheers again guys ;)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds right steve, same thing my pro is trying to get me to do. When I do not create room I end up hitting too near the heel, it was very evident when we put some tape on the club!

We need room to be consistent as it gives room for error which translates into finding more sweet spots instead of weak toe or heel shots, fats or thins.

Try and get your arse out. Feel as if you are over the ball so you are nicely steep coming into it with irons, my biggest problem atm is standing too upright for 6 irons and below resulting in thins :(