how mcuh difference between reg/stiff/x stiff in woods?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know not all shaftmakes for each are equal but how much difference is there, for the average player between the 3? Could a decent ball striker hit all 3 just fine or is it really super critical to go with as light as you can get away? Why not as stiff as you can get away with, surely stiffer = better dispersion?

I am talking standard made for shafts by the way not after market

Please enlighten me as I am utterly confused with all this loft/shaft length/ flex etc etc for drivers/fairways

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i noticed the stock stiff shaft on the new ping anser was as floppy as a rabbits ear. couldnt hit the thing if i tried!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is what makes me wonder, was looking at callaway razr hawk drivers and can get ex demo for 69 quid but stiff or x flex shaft, currently use reg tfc in the g10 but feel its a little floppy and only really works with a slower swing.

Might go to AG and try the 3 and see what the difference is (if they let me)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem stems from the fact that there is no base starting point and each manfuacturer has their own parameters and so a TM regular is not the same as Ping or Cally. That means you are never going to compare like with like on their stock shafts. Surely that then takes us down a C/F when you cam compare more and more options and here I would guess there would be a world of difference between an R and XS in most and a noticeable change between R and S

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
x-flex you generally know about. Severe loss of yardage if you don't have the swing speed.

Some stiff shafts could easily be referred to as 'firm' although it really is a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question.

If you know your swing is in the 100-105mph bracket rather than the 95mph then a stiff shaft would probably be the chioce.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And you can even get large variances between a manufacturers regular shafts or stiff shafts.
So 2 regulars of the same brand may well olay differently - especially the cheaper "stock" shafts

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i had a few quick swings in american golf one day and the chap said i was just in the threshold of stiff shaft. i wish i had asked what speed it was. any time i use a regular club i find its too whippy and it puts me off even if its only a mental thing.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gibbo the Aldila RIP in the Callaway Razr Hawk is a made for version and to me played very soft to flex and launched much higher than the 'real' RIP I tried. For £69 I would give the stiff a try.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thats a stiff shaft. Will feel very stout compared to your TFC. Even the regular v2 feels boardy but it does give a nice medium ball flight though.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This thread makes a good point

Had several drivers, swing speed approx 90 to 95 mph at best

For a long time i couldnt beat my Ping G2 with Grafolloy blue prolaunch shaft, perfect for me

Then i discovered the Cobra AMP with RIP reg shaft designed for medium swing speeds

Result, better distance and more accurate best combination by a mile for me

Adjustable to and because of my improved swing its set in neutral and i get a natural draw, perfect

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Swapping from reg to stiff probably is ok, and given some time is easily doable. Swapping from r to x, next to impossible. X flex tend to be like a scaffolding pole, regardless of make.