How many rounds does a ball last?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Serious question! New course hasn't many watery graves unlike Wyboston and current ball is around 10 rounds old. Not even my usual as it's a Callaway CXR but feels ok of every club to me so have kept on digging it out of the bag round after round. It still looks unmarked (ish) so perhaps is a bit rock like but doesn't feel it in play.

So - do they get damaged/out of shape and not really show it or do I keep on digging it out of the bag til it gets itself lost? 15 holes open today, bit soggy underfoot, but hit 6 over gross so it isn't hurting my game!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For most forum members, this is not a question that they ever need to consider. :whistle:

If it's still round and not cut, keep using it.

PS Tell HID to buy you some new balls the tight git :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Quite an interesting question really. After 10 rounds your ball is still playable, wonder how many times some of those smooth eggs at my local range have been hit?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My current Pro V is around 6 or so rounds old.

It's starting to look a little tired now so may retire it to the practice bag and start with a fresh one in the new year.

As a general rule I tend to play the same ball until I lose it. In cases like my current one, I'll plum for a fresh one and put the current one out to stud in the practice bag.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
For most forum members, this is not a question that they ever need to consider. :whistle:

If it's still round and not cut, keep using it.

PS Tell HID to buy you some new balls the tight git :thup:

It isn't cut and looks and acts round! Started with 5 balls in the bag on boxing day and ended up with 15 - 6 of which were good condition AD333 which is my ball of choice. They've been squirreled away for the scoring season :thup:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
How many ROUNDS????? :confused: If there's a lake on the 1st hole it's unlikely to get hit twice :D

Well at Wyboston there is a lake on the 1st, river on the 2nd, pond on the 3rd etc etc. Beds & County has a watery ditch running across 4 holes but I'm hitting it well so not finding it. 1st cut not too penal and I'm not too wild so it's a cheap place for balls :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've no idea how many rounds balls have actually been played before I get to use them - if it looks OK it gets played.

Only met one ball that defied this simple evaluation - a ProV1 that had split 'inside', but the cover was intact. It could do some amazing things in the air - but not in any predictable manner!!!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid I can't give you the technical answer but I'm sure I read Rory uses 4 dozen during a tournament and Tiger once said he'd use a new ball every shot if he could.

However, as Bob says, for us mere mortals I doubt it makes a huge amount of difference. I'll normally use a new ball to start each comp but will use them in bounce games until the cover is scuffed up too badly or I lose it.