How many really good shots do you hit in a round?

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hit maybe 15 good shots a round that feel very solid and go where they are supposed to.
Alternatively I think I hit a lot more bad shots then I should.
Ultimately its how you classify a good shot.
Is a solid contacted 5 iron that has 180 yard of carry a good shot that flies the green?
Or is a good shot a thinned wedge from 70 yards that ends 5 feet from the whole?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I must have lower standards than most. I played yesterday and not counting putts I'd say I was really happy with at least a dozen of them.

Im in that category. I believe it's all relative to our handicaps. I tend to hit half a dozen that make me belive I can somewhat play the game.

I sometimes even play a whole how I'd consider perfectly (for me). Yesterday short par four, dog leg right at 200 yards. Managed to hit drove to corner, 8 iron just on to green, putt to 6 inches and tap in par. Next tee shanked drive (back to normal)!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hit 3 proper golf shots on Sunday.

Boomed drive down the middle on hole 2. Nutted 8iron approach to the 7th which flew the green and plugged in a bank at the back. And a lob wedge from 60yard to 4ft into a tucked front pin on the par 5 14th, enabling me to save par after hacking up the hole with my previous 3 shots.

That was it. The rest was pretty poor tbh.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ben Hogan famously answered this question by saying it was one per round, two on a really good day. The definition of good shot in the context he was asked in was a shot that came right out of the sweet spot that ended up exactly where he intended.

This has always stuck with me. I reckon by that definition, maybe one shot every couple of rounds with a full swing would be my tally.

Also read his quote and agree with this. I call them my "Jesus Shots" as in a lesson working on a later release I hit a shot and exclaimed "Jesus Christ" as it was just so amazing and felt so good. I tend not to feel the same about less than full shots though and this thread had me thinking about chipping and putting. I have a solid short game so would add a couple per round based on those.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golf is a game of misses. Even the pros don't hit many shots absolutely spot on but they are better at missing the target and keeping it in play. I imagine I probably hit three or four full shots per round absolutely flush. Around the greens, I look at good shots differently. If I'm chipping or pitching, providing I make an up and down then it's a good shot even if I don't make perfect contact.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Discounting putts and short chips by one definition I count 4, by another is well into the teens or higher.

A good golf shot is one which achieves your intended aim, I have seen lots of people undone by basing their enjoyment on "Perfect".

Redefine what you call a "good" shot and you can do wonders for your confidence.

I did cover this in my three goals method thread as a playing partner imposing perfect on a guy was killing his ability to play well.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played on Sunday and despite it not all "coming together", amongst the carnage I hit 4 shots that I would have been proud of at anytime. Three with my 6 iron and one with my 5, that were absolutely flushed, didn't even feel them leave the club and they really put a smile on my face. Everything felt right with them.
My 6 iron to our 159 yard par 3, (and no it wasn't downwind), was probably one of the purest strikes I've ever hit, hit the green and plugged about 5 feet to the right of the pin and set me up for a very welcome birdie.
I am absolutely loving these new irons.

Last edited:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
A technically well struck shot that leaves your club in the right direction with the right shape, flight and spin and then lands and finishes exactly where you intended it is a rare beast for me, one maybe two per round.