How many more tournaments will bite the dust forever

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given what happened after 2008 and the expected downturn in most economies I wonder how many more Golf Tournaments will never be seen again?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On the flip side with the emergence of the UK swing to start the ET off again, will this perhaps allow more events to be staged in Britain. The Welsh Open hasn't been played for 6 years for example and I can't remember if/when the English Open was played. It would superb for the fans going forward if they can remain in the diary and they can see some of the best golfers on home soil more regularly

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the flip side with the emergence of the UK swing to start the ET off again, will this perhaps allow more events to be staged in Britain. The Welsh Open hasn't been played for 6 years for example and I can't remember if/when the English Open was played. It would superb for the fans going forward if they can remain in the diary and they can see some of the best golfers on home soil more regularly
To be fair, the time they could play extra tournaments in the uk they are playing them at some really interesting courses around Europe, with good crowds, making it a truly European tour. The tournaments that I would happily replace, with minimal crowd presence, are the ones outside of Europe, outside of UK summer, early autumn and so we would not have the daylight.

We do pretty well already compared to any other European country, Open, BMW at Wentworth, Dunhill Links and now the British Masters becoming a fixture.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think theres every chance the European tour becomes a feeder tour to the PGA (i know to some extents it already is), think a lot of the smaller tournaments are going to struggle for sponsors. This will most likely mean a restructure of events over a few years

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be fair, the time they could play extra tournaments in the uk they are playing them at some really interesting courses around Europe, with good crowds, making it a truly European tour. The tournaments that I would happily replace, with minimal crowd presence, are the ones outside of Europe, outside of UK summer, early autumn and so we would not have the daylight.

We do pretty well already compared to any other European country, Open, BMW at Wentworth, Dunhill Links and now the British Masters becoming a fixture.

Some would even call the Scottish Open and the Irish Open bigger events than the British Masters or Dunhill Links. I think they get played in the UK too

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think theres every chance the European tour becomes a feeder tour to the PGA (i know to some extents it already is), think a lot of the smaller tournaments are going to struggle for sponsors. This will most likely mean a restructure of events over a few years

It probably already is in all but name

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some would even call the Scottish Open and the Irish Open bigger events than the British Masters or Dunhill Links. I think they get played in the UK too
Totally forgot about the Scottish Open, that's a fair cop. The Irish Open is a bit more borderline as it can be played in Republic, outside of the UK. (Can you hear the sound of straws being clutched ?)

It adds to my point though, we do pretty well on the whole for tournaments in the UK. You can argue about where they are spread and how the Welsh miss out but the total number compares well.

Reactions: Val

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally forgot about the Scottish Open, that's a fair cop. The Irish Open is a bit more borderline as it can be played in Republic, outside of the UK. (Can you hear the sound of straws being clutched ?)

It adds to my point though, we do pretty well on the whole for tournaments in the UK. You can argue about where they are spread and how the Welsh miss out but the total number compares well.

Straws well clutched ?, Irish Open played in NI a few times recently.

Fair point tho, we do very well golf wise in the UK