How many greenkeepers...

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have 18 holes parkland 6300 yards, 3 fulltime green staff.
Sadly our recently appointed head green keeper has had a stroke.
He's only in late 30s so hopefully he'll fully recover .

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have three. They let the grass grow on the greens for the weekend and although they were slower they looked much better. Not really a relevant comment, but I just thought I'd say it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do people know exactly how many greenkeepers their course has?

I think we have 3 or 4. One of whom might be an apprentice. Our course takes up quite a small area of land though comparatively.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think we have 3 or 4. One of whom might be an apprentice. Our course takes up quite a small area of land though comparatively.
I have no idea at my current place, I rarely see them and if I do they are driving equipment in the distance. I would have to ask someone but someone would know, we have a lot of long standing members who are very interested in all things greens and make it their business to know.

If you play with a mix of people at some stage you will play with someone on the greens committee or someone who knows someone on the greens committee. That is when you ask the question 😄

At my last place we hardly had any greenkeepers for such a large expanse of land so I could work it out, I reckon we had 3, not enough.

RichA

Visit site

Easy at ours.
The head greenkeeper is also the general manager and is omnipresent.
The other full-timer is one of my best mates and most regular pp.
The third is part-greenkeeper part-student and one of our circle of occasional playing partners.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Seeing them out and about!

In the summer holidays I play a lot of midweek golf and they're working most mornings. You give them the customary nod and get one back in return! Plus the one loves to stop and chat.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I see them most mornings...
Rule 1. Get on the right side of the Greenkeepers....they won't hold you up. ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

We have 8 according to our website, which lists them by name

Just the one 18 hole course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently it is The British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association 'Thank a Greenkeeper Day' so if you check your clubs FB page today it may show a picture of them. I can confirm that Alnmouth GC have 8 gk and a collie dog 😄. They do a pretty good job up there, better than good (y)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

When you only have three you know them by name. Lee, Simon and Jack. 😁

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow
As an ex HGK of the 1970's I am amazed that some courses only have 3 greenstaff, especially the parkland one.
Eight might be over egging it so I would expect those courses to be in first class order.
Mind you a lot depends on how modern and suitable the machinery is.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Our Head GK sends out a weekly course update email to all members, often far too detailed for anyone to actually care (which type of fertiliser is being injected how far in to the root system…) and always signs them off with all the green staff names.

So even with 8 I know them all by name. But over the years you get to know them by face to name as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Head GK sends out a weekly course update email to all members, often far too detailed for anyone to actually care (which type of fertiliser is being injected how far in to the root system…) and always signs them off with all the green staff names.

So even with 8 I know them all by name. But over the years you get to know them by face to name as well.
I don't know, I can see why people are saying this, but since I only play at either 8:30-9:00 or 12:30 on a Saturday or Sunday, I don't recall ever seeing greenkeepers working at this time. The one I know best is one I've actually played with on several occasions, plus the head gk is off 5.5 and I know his name. The others, I have no idea their names or what they look like.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know, I can see why people are saying this, but since I only play at either 8:30-9:00 or 12:30 on a Saturday or Sunday, I don't recall ever seeing greenkeepers working at this time. The one I know best is one I've actually played with on several occasions, plus the head gk is off 5.5 and I know his name. The others, I have no idea their names or what they look like.
This for me as well. The greenkeepers could sit next to me in the bar on Saturday and I would have no idea. Our paths don't cross. Presumably different if you play midweek in the day etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wonder if a club just has the GK staff working 5 days Mon-Fri (when a golf course itself is ‘working’ 7 days) won’t there always be a bit of regression from whatever they accomplished that week

I’m talking about what would be classed as daily tasks here rather than special work

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours work different times on different days so you can often find them out doing stuff of an evening.
They also can be found in and around the clubhouse a fair bit.

The use of 'you' in this context was more specific to me rather than in general. i.e. I've gotten to know them by face over the years.

Springveldt

Visit site
This for me as well. The greenkeepers could sit next to me in the bar on Saturday and I would have no idea. Our paths don't cross. Presumably different if you play midweek in the day etc.
I'd be surprised if they were in the bar as from what I've been told none of them actually play golf.

I've been a member for 7 years and I've no idea how many we have got and I'm lucky if I see them out and about on the course more than 3 times a season. I've been told that they don't work weekends either, just change the pin position sometimes.

Like you I don't play during the day midweek so our paths rarely cross.