How Many Changes At A Time?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As the title says, if you decide things need working on in your swing, do you tackle them one at a time or all together, or does it depend if two or more of them go together.

At the moment there's 3 (yes, only 3!) things I want to change/work on.

I have a swing thought for each, all of which appear to work on the relevant fault while I concentrate on it.

Do you go for one at a time until you no longer have to think about it, try two, or go the whole hog and try all three?

If it's only 1, do you go for the one that you think will be quickest to bed in, the one that fixes the most destructive fault, or something else?

I'm talking about the range here, not while I'm on the course.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ideally, find a feeling that does all 3 without thinking of the 3 individual parts

Now there's a challenge, thanks for the idea.

While you're here... are you a believer of Hank Haney's drill (might not be his idea) of taking 100 practice swings a day?
Does it help bed in things without hitting a ball?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Now there's a challenge, thanks for the idea.

While you're here... are you a believer of Hank Haney's drill (might not be his idea) of taking 100 practice swings a day?
Does it help bed in things without hitting a ball?

I'm not a big fan of ANY drill that doesn't involve hitting a ball.
I've seen too many brilliant practice swings which are followed by a completely different swing when the ball is in the way.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im sure your well capable of doing 2 or 3 at a time.
For example-grip,alignment and takeaway,doesnt sound too difficult.
I also like your idea of 100s of practice swings,isnt it all about muscle memory?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I also like your idea of 100s of practice swings,isnt it all about muscle memory?

no, its about hitting a golf ball consistently, Bobs spot on, watch a first tee and see the beautiful fluid swishes by the guy who then forgets all that and tries to murder the ball emulating the swing of a lumberjack

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of ANY drill that doesn't involve hitting a ball.
I've seen too many brilliant practice swings which are followed by a completely different swing when the ball is in the way.

Thanks. Definitely agree with the practice swing thing.

I had the use of a swing speedamajig a few weeks ago.
I took one 'lazy' practice swing, one normal swing, and one as hard as I could, all without a ball.
After that I hit a few balls with my normal swing.

The 'hard as I could' swing without a ball was the same speed as my 'normal' swing with a ball. Very odd.

I think no matter how much anyone protests their back garden swing is a good replica of their normal course swing, it isn't.
I would've sworn mine was before my experiment.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think your 3 examples I could do all at the same time. My 3 are OTT, early extension, and getting ahead of the ball too much. Bit more difficult but I think I might manage 2.

Just umming and ahhing over whether or not slow motion (or just more dliberate) swings with the correct movements/positions will have any effect on training my body to swing how I want it to.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think your 3 examples I could do all at the same time. My 3 are OTT, early extension, and getting ahead of the ball too much. Bit more difficult but I think I might manage 2.

Just umming and ahhing over whether or not slow motion (or just more dliberate) swings with the correct movements/positions will have any effect on training my body to swing how I want it to.

I'd suggest that the OTT and EE, at least, could/should be tackled together. Pretty sure that it's worth trying to sort all 3 together. Not normally a fan of slo-mo swings as it's almost always the (speedy) motion and balance reflexes that are major contributors to these issues. Swinging a heavy club might help - or may actually cause other/different sequence/timing issues.

I suggest you don't rule anything out. Trial without prejudice is the way forward.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest that the OTT and EE, at least, could/should be tackled together. Pretty sure that it's worth trying to sort all 3 together. Not normally a fan of slo-mo swings as it's almost always the (speedy) motion and balance reflexes that are major contributors to these issues. Swinging a heavy club might help - or may actually cause other/different sequence/timing issues.

I suggest you don't rule anything out. Trial without prejudice is the way forward.

Thanks. I've been trying to stop the last one for the longest, probably about 8 months. Still not got to the stage where I can rely on not doing it if I forget about it during the swing, but then I probably don't practice as much as I should.

The other 2 (that you suggest could be tackled together) I've only recently (2 or 3 weeks) decided to try and do something about.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends on what the changes are. How big are they. Speak to a teaching pro and get him to look at you and see if he agrees with you. Might be there isn't that much needs changing if the strike and direction are ok

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably depends on the Individual really......
My Major one was the swing plane....Going from an OTT move to getting myself swinging in to out......
My Pro also gave me one for my hips at address which has sorted a slight reverse pivot that i used to have....Other than that things seem to be coming along slowly but i can see improvements......

I guess a good Pro would see the main thing that is having a knock on effect in the swing and maybe change that first....
I guess its one of those things...What was happening me was that my grip, alignment, posture, stance were all pretty solid as was my backswing.....But it was all gone to pot the minute i started the downswing throwing it out over the plane line.....So now im changing the swing path and keeping trying to keep everything else the way it was.....