How far do you hit your PW?

D

Deleted member 1147

What clubs do you play and what is your handicap? I've just dropped the 4 and 5 irons for hybrids and really pleased with that decision

Titleist TMB 4 iron, AP2 5 & 6, CBs 7-PW, Vokey 50,52,58

Play off 4

D

Deleted member 1147

i'm a member at a parkland course too and carry the same clubs there as i do at my home course, looks like we are in the minority

Don;t get me wrong, the TMB 4 iron is the easiest club in the world to hit - I use it as my escape club when in trouble (assuming the lie is ok)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don;t get me wrong, the TMB 4 iron is the easiest club in the world to hit - I use it as my escape club when in trouble (assuming the lie is ok)
i just have the straight though MP 4 blades and hit the 4 iron as well as i hit the 5 or 6 for that matter, 3 if i'm honest i don't use that much unless its windy.

But have have to say when i had some GI irons i struggled with the chunkieness of them and hit the blade so much better, but i have also worked on hitting long irons in the past, used to reg just take a half set with no woods and hiiting lots of shots in a real game situation rather than at a range helped a hell of a lot. i could in the future see the drop of the 3 but never the 4...and it wouldn't be to put an extra wedge in either:ROFLMAO:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not going to read all the responses but here’s my issue with loft cranking (a perspective from someone working in the industry).

Cranking lofts would be fine if distance wasn’t the main selling point for every single club. I recently saw Wilson doing a challenge to prove their 7iron went further than you existing one. It’s 27 degrees in loft.

Callaway are also making their clubs half an inch longer than standard now too - it’s blatantly misleading.

Someone that’s properly fitted does not need these extremely low lofts

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m not going to read all the responses but here’s my issue with loft cranking (a perspective from someone working in the industry).

Cranking lofts would be fine if distance wasn’t the main selling point for every single club. I recently saw Wilson doing a challenge to prove their 7iron went further than you existing one. It’s 27 degrees in loft.

Callaway are also making their clubs half an inch longer than standard now too - it’s blatantly misleading.

Someone that’s properly fitted does not need these extremely low lofts

iirc the TM 760 irons had a longer than standard shaft if bought off the shelf, so as to make them seem longer hitting clubs.

But of course that goes out the window if you have a CF, as the fitter should find the correct length shaft for you.

If and when I have fittings for irons I don't aim for longer shots, but more consistent distance, spin etc - not that I mind if a few more yards are added (it would probably make me actually hit the distances I think I do)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
iirc the TM 760 irons had a longer than standard shaft if bought off the shelf, so as to make them seem longer hitting clubs.

But of course that goes out the window if you have a CF, as the fitter should find the correct length shaft for you.

If and when I have fittings for irons I don't aim for longer shots, but more consistent distance, spin etc - not that I mind if a few more yards are added (it would probably make me actually hit the distances I think I do)
Everyone has different needs in a fitting. In general distance is a by product of a good fit, unless someone is getting sub optimal spin but enough to keep the ball in the air.

In a fitting you’ll rarely if ever hit the 4-5irons, so when someone takes delivery of their new set with an 22 degree 5 iron, chances are dispersion will be worse than their existing set.

I’m all for distance irons improving someone’s enjoyment for the game, but when someone is being fitted and sold on ‘we’ve improved your distance by 15 yards’ - it’s a con

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I hit mine 100 yards, 110 at a push. At 43° my cranked PW suits me fine. Granted I had to buy a gap wedge but the easy launching nature of the irons means that, at my advanced age, I can still hit a 4 iron. Unlike the OP I find the game hard enough with modern equipment & much more enjoyable.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I use a 47 degree wedge and hit it 137 average carry. Depends on which course I play and ground conditions to total distance.

This time of year off mats on soft greens by the time they stop spinning you've lost 5+ yards. In summer when they couldn't water greens and they resembled concrete they were bouncing 15 yards further than the carry it was painful.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i just have the straight though MP 4 blades and hit the 4 iron as well as i hit the 5 or 6 for that matter, 3 if i'm honest i don't use that much unless its windy.

But have have to say when i had some GI irons i struggled with the chunkieness of them and hit the blade so much better, but i have also worked on hitting long irons in the past, used to reg just take a half set with no woods and hiiting lots of shots in a real game situation rather than at a range helped a hell of a lot. i could in the future see the drop of the 3 but never the 4...and it wouldn't be to put an extra wedge in either:ROFLMAO:
Love the look of the MP4s...just love em. But could I hit them...I might actually compromise on consistency of strike if I could ht them well enough to play to my 8 h/cap...just to be able to play them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Love the look of the MP4s...just love em. But could I hit them...I might actually compromise on consistency of strike if I could ht them well enough to play to my 8 h/cap...just to be able to play them.
why wouldn't you be able to hit them??

i found them suprisingly forgiving, and when i switched from the GI 825 forged CB, i didn't lose any distance to the MP4

Unfortunately Mizuno have joined every other OEM and all the clubs including the MP are now 1/4 inch longer and more upright than they were, JPX rand went this way a couple of years ago.

any Mizuno club of the old spec suited me fine and could just buy off the shelf or SH, which is how i also ended up witha set of MP57, MP37 and MP62

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So would you sooner play the clubs you'd really like or have an 8 handicap?
Well I'd want to be able to play to my 8 handicap - and if I could manage that with such as MP4s I might actually accept not getting any lower.

I did the same back about 1985 when, playing off 16, I saw a set of almost new pre-owned Wilson Staff Tour Blade Fluid Feels for sale in the club Pro Shop - just loved the look of them and so just bought them. As I did soon afterwards when I saw a driver, 3w and 5w MacGregor super eye-o-matic persimmon clubs for sale - they looked so beautiful I just had to buy them - and so I did.

I taught myself to play these clubs - played them for over 20yrs - and got to 6 - though tbh - I did struggle with the driver and a bit of consistency - and that probably kept me from getting a bit lower.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I'd want to be able to play to my handicap - and if I could manage that with such as MP4s I might actually accept not getting any lower.

I did the same back about 1985 when, playing off 16, I saw a set of almost new pre-owned Wilson Staff Tour Blade Fluid Feels for sale in the club Pro Shop - just loved the look of them and so just bought them. As I did soon afterwards when I saw a driver, 3w and 5w MacGregor super eye-o-matic persimmon clubs for sale - they looked so beautiful I just had to buy them - and so I did.

Why not get a combo set with mp4 in the short and middle irons. Buy a separate mp4 3 iron for those stingers.