How far do you hit your PW?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm sure someone recently posted on here that a 38 degree pitching wedge was not far away.

Well it's arrived, and from an unexpected quarter, the new Titleist T400!

(Defend that then Phil, I'm sure you will!)

1579530783280.png

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My AP2 918 pw is 46* I hit it 120yds.
Getting a bit silly ,it’s a ploy to sell more wedges as most people don’t buy long irons anymore.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's ridiculous. How many wedges do they expect people to carry? My bag already has 3 hybrids, 3 irons and 5 wedges, technically (in name only). If I was using those irons I'd only have the 8 and the 9. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: To answer the question (wasn't sure if it was rhetorical) I hit my PW around 120 depending on the season, and it's 44°.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
G25 PW. Apparently 45° and I hit it bang on 100yds when hit full, but in control, which is a very convenient and handy round number. It is the club I hit cleanest, most consistently and if you offered me another PW that gave me an extra 10yds I would say no thanks. It does exactly what I want it to.

(the above figure is based on regular temps, not winter. I assume we are all basing on that)

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sure someone recently posted on here that a 38 degree pitching wedge was not far away.

Well it's arrived, and from an unexpected quarter, the new Titleist T400!

(Defend that then Phil, I'm sure you will!)

View attachment 29008
What is there to defend ?

Basically someone will just adjust what clubs they have to fill the gaps - no need for the “2-3-4” irons etc and have the gaps filled by wedges

But what is the issue ?

And I hit my PW approx 110-115 - believe the loft is 46

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1147

My Titleist CB 716 goes about 135yds - according to the Titleist website it is 47 degrees

D

Deleted member 21258

Whats funny with that chart, is that as you go down the list, irons disappear from the left and new irons(wedges) appear on the right.

And when you look at loft, you would think the spreadsheet has just pasted them 'starting' into the wrong column.:ROFLMAO:

Mine is 45degrees and goes about 120 yards. I do know that I have never hit the old set of irons I have PW 120 yards:unsure:;)

D

Deleted member 1147

The T400 is aimed at people needing help, ie game improver irons.
They are made to get the ball in the air.
If you are a short hitter you need more distance with more help and improved off centre strikes.

If you are a decent striker of a ball you should not be looking at these clubs. The T100 is more suitable.

D

Deleted member 1147

Whats funny with that chart, is that as you go down the list, irons disappear from the left and new irons(wedges) appear on the right.

And when you look at loft, you would think the spreadsheet has just pasted them 'starting' into the wrong column.:ROFLMAO:

Mine is 45degrees and goes about 120 yards. I do know that I have never hit the old set of irons I have PW 120 yards:unsure:;)

The T400 is for people who struggle to hit long irons. So put less loft on shorter shaft it makes it easier to play them.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
what you're failing to accept is that the low loft is low to keep the flight down. if its lofted the same as a traditional 8 iron then why doesn't it fly like a 8 iron. the loft isn't created to pull the wool over your eyes otherwise all their clubs would have the strong lofts. I know alot of people that have strong lofted clubs as it helps them play golf. one of the guy's I play with has 2 pw in his bag. on is 39 and the other is 45 (not the same make of course) I have a 46 degree pw because I don't need the help these "jacked" clubs are offering. however, accept that some people do

i hit my pw 135 yards

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
What is there to defend ?

Basically someone will just adjust what clubs they have to fill the gaps - no need for the “2-3-4” irons etc and have the gaps filled by wedges

But what is the issue ?

And I hit my PW approx 110-115 - believe the loft is 46

For me the number on the bottom of the club should be an indication of how far it will go, of course that will differ depending on whose hands the club is in, but Player A should be able to pick up a 7 iron (for instance) and know that they will be able to hit it roughly "x" yards. The same if they picked up another 7 iron by another manufacturer.

It just makes a mockery of having numbered irons, would you be okay with a 21 degree PW?

It's wrong on so many levels, for instance when we've played a round of golf one of the things we sometimes do afterwards is discuss shots played, "I hit a 7 iron into the green on the 13th", once this gave you a good idea of the distance covered, now it could be anything from 140 to 200 yards.

(The question on the thread title was a rhetorical one)

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
so you're saying all 7 irons amongst all manufacturers should go the same? I went from ping i20 to tm p750 they are never going to go the same as they are a different club. it took me about a month to get used to the difference. in my opinion that's like saying all cars should have the same 0-60 speed. I would get your points if the club no longer flew like it should but it does.
For me the number on the bottom of the club should be an indication of how far it will go, of course that will differ depending on whose hands the club is in, but Player A should be able to pick up a 7 iron (for instance) and know that they will be able to hit it roughly "x" yards. The same if he picked up another 7 iron by another manufacturer.

It just makes a mockery of having numbered irons, would you be okay with a 21 degree PW?

It's wrong on so many levels, for instance when we've played a round of golf one of the things we sometimes do afterwards is discuss shots played, "I hit a 7 iron into the green on the 13th", once this gave you a good idea of the distance covered, now it could be anything from 140 to 200 yards.

(The question on the thread title was a rhetorical one)

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
so you're saying all 7 irons amongst all manufacturers should go the same? I went from ping i20 to tm p750 they are never going to go the same as they are a different club. in my opinion that's like saying all cars should have the same 0-60 speed

Roughly the same yes, the number should be there to help the golfer not confuse them.

In my opinion it's not like saying all cars should have the same 0-60 speed, but travelling at 60 mph in car A gets you the same distance as travelling at 60 mph in car B.