How far do you hit each club?

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Im having real issues with club selection at the moment. Pretty new to the game and cant seem to gauge how far i hit each club. The crappy balls at the driving range seem to make things worse.

The only thing i know for a fact is that i hit my sandwedge 100yds. If im on the redmarker i can basically put my head down swing solid and know ill be pretty close to the centre of the green. Outside of that im pretty sketchy.

I usually hit 7i from around the 150marker but with mixed results.

There also seems to be quite a gap in distance between by SW and PW and not much between my PW and 91. Is that normal??

So how far do you hit each club??

Cheers
J

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is only going to start a big willy contest.

The thing is it doesn't matter if you hit a sw 100 yards (I don't) it is to know how far you hit each club, the easiest way to do that is borrow a gps, if you don't have one, go to a field or hole on your course hit 10 balls and take the average distance for each club.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do not use range balls to guage distance - most of these are actually deliberatly made not to go as far (due to a lack of room at the range). I went out with a brand new box of Pro Vs to work it out (as I use these on the course).
Your distances should be fairly equally spread so there may be a problem with your short irons. Most probably the loft or shaft length.
My yardages are:
SW 87
GW 102
PW 115

I am not so concerned after this, as long as there is a reasonable gap between them all.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Doesn't matter what anyone else does as not all irons have the same loft, so a pointless question.

Best thing to do. Buy 50 cheap balls from ebay and hit them at a range/field and measure them and you will get an idea of your average distance.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Do not use range balls to guage distance - most of these are actually deliberatly made not to go as far (due to a lack of room at the range). I went out with a brand new box of Pro Vs to work it out (as I use these on the course).
Your distances should be fairly equally spread so there may be a problem with your short irons. Most probably the loft or shaft length.
My yardages are:
SW 87
GW 102
PW 115

I am not so concerned after this, as long as there is a reasonable gap between them all.

Well maybe my gap between SW and PW is okay then and im just missing out a club in between. do SW and PW have a standard loft? and what does the GW fall in at?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im having real issues with club selection at the moment. Pretty new to the game and cant seem to gauge how far i hit each club. The crappy balls at the driving range seem to make things worse.

The only thing i know for a fact is that i hit my sandwedge 100yds. If im on the redmarker i can basically put my head down swing solid and know ill be pretty close to the centre of the green. Outside of that im pretty sketchy.

There also seems to be quite a gap in distance between by SW and PW and not much between my PW and 91. Is that normal??

Cheers
J

Because your a relatively high handicapper you will be more inconsistent with your distances than a lower handicapper who has a more consistent strike.
The reason your fairly consistent with your wedge is because it is a lot easier to hit than a low iron.
The key for you it to get on the course when its quiet,hit a few ball into a hole with different irons,take the average by taking away the ones that come up short,and the ones that fly the green.
Do this with all your irons.
Of course as you get a better ball striker,and more consistent your distance will get further,so keep checking

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Cheers
J

wow, SW 100yds! good effort. my SW is about 60yds, 52* 80yds, PW-100yds, 9 iron - 120 yds, 8 iron-140 yds, 7 iron-155 yds, 6 iron-165, 5 iron/hybrid-175, 4 iron-185, 3 hybrid-200yds, 3 wood-225 yds and driver 250yds.
i dont know, but id say that was about average. obviously you get big hitters, i am certainly not one of them!!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Jim, I would advise you to learn how to hit your PW different distances. That way, you wouldn't need the GW and you could get rid of the 64 and the chipper.
Then with only 12 clubs, you could sell your trolley, and carry your bag which would pay for a few lessons and a new driver
:)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Plenty of threads already exist on this topic, the general consensus was forget about how far everyone else hits their Sw etc, some hit it all out to get these figures, others prefer to hold a little back in the interests of accuracy.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never put a full swing on wedges or any iron for that matter. I like to know where its going. Half swing is more than enough for me. I also go up and down the grip for distance control. If I get it right I stand a better chance of hitting the green/ layup. Than with a full swing that can go anywhere.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Jim, I would advise you to learn how to hit your PW different distances. That way, you wouldn't need the GW and you could get rid of the 64 and the chipper.
Then with only 12 clubs, you could sell your trolley, and carry your bag which would pay for a few lessons and a new driver
:)

If I lose the 64 how would i ever get out of a bunker lol...chipper is a thing of the past now so there is an open spot.

Ps- always carry my clubs. My way of convincing myself its exercise...

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"do SW and PW have a standard loft?"

Uh oh... big debate about this on another thread! It seems NO clubs have a standard loft these days, due to manufacturers changing the lofts to make them seem to go further. Which just reinforces the point that it only matters how far YOU hit each club and that you know what those distances are.

I've got a mate who hits his PW 150, but he can't putt for sh1t, so I always beat him once we get to the green.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My yardages are:
SW 87
GW 102
PW 115

Well maybe my gap between SW and PW is okay then and im just missing out a club in between. do SW and PW have a standard loft? and what does the GW fall in at?

Going a stage further, use one smooth rythm. Then experiment with swing length (say short, medium, full) and grip down and inch for another yardage change. Thats 6 different yardages for one club!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is only going to start a big willy contest.

Maybe, or maybe not.

i.m.o. it takes a while to become consistent with distance, so beginners just have to take pot luck from X distance.

I've always found it interesting (but entirely understandable) that in the short clubs, there's not a huge difference between players. My PW tops out at 110, but it's a proper loft not a Wilson Staff special like an old 9 iron.

The total distance seems to increase the lower loft the club, so a player that hits 7i 145 yards and one that hits it 155 yards, will think they are relatively close, until you get into long irons and then woods.

A 7i is my 145-150 club. If I'm on a 152 yard shot, I'll take a 6i. 162 5 iron, 172 4 iron and so on....but I've been known to be through the back endlessly on a good hitting round. :( :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
According to a web page I found, your PW is 46 and your 9 iron is 42. 4 degrees gap. Assuming the 56 in your sig is your SW then that's a 10 degree gap, so I'd assume that the distance gap from PW to SW is roughly 2.5 times the gap from 9 to PW?

My PW (47) goes 30-35 yards further than my SW (56) so I have a 51deg to fill the gap. From PW through the rest of my irons I work on a 10yd difference between clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not only does it vary wildly due to the quality of the strike, it also varies due to weather.
So many times I see "my 7 iron goes 150 yards on a calm day"

Well lucky you. How many times do you play in calm weather?
To say you hit a particular yardage is misleading. Last time out I hit my 4 iron beteeen 160 and 220 yards, does that mean I average 190 yards?. Wind, temperature, gradient all have a major effect on distance, if I can have a 60 yard difference with the same club then the average of 190 is useless.
Ok, knowing that average is a starting point but being able to judge the conditions is as important.
And another thing.... Unless you hit shots into a green, bunker or the like - where you can see a pitch mark - what distance are you measuring?
Carry is the important figure. Total distance - carry+roll is a lottery and depends on so many factors. So you need a pitchmark.