How fair is the handicap system

User20204

Visit site
It's really a pointless argument IMO. Why can he not score off the whites ? Presumably he now lacks the distance he once had but my guess would be if you played off the yellows you would score very similarly to him and therefore his handicap would be correct for the courses and conditions he plays most of the time. Questions I'd be asking myself if I were you is how can a guy who is presumably alot shorter than me still score the same ? It seems you have an insecurity on your part because you feel because you can still somewhat score round a longer course and he cant that you are a better player when that is not the case clearly.

Firstly, no one is arguing here, possibly other than yourself, with yourself. Secondly, I already stated he admitted that if he played off the whites he'd probably be 4 strokes higher than he is. What I am saying is, if I am returning cards from 3 separate tees of which two are 1 and 2 shots higher SSS yet have proven to be much harder to get reductions on and much easier to go up then for our h/caps to be similar I'm having to work harder to keep mine where he can hit buffer much easier off the melons than I can off the whites, hope that makes sense. And before anyone says but the css will be higher, yes indeed it is but statically it is much harder to make buffer off our whites than it is off our yellas.

May be I'm just imagining all of this but I firmly believe if I only played off the lemons I would rarely be outside buffer.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Firstly, no one is arguing here, possibly other than yourself, with yourself. Secondly, I already stated he admitted that if he played off the whites he'd probably be 4 strokes higher than he is. What I am saying is, if I am returning cards from 3 separate tees of which two are 1 and 2 shots higher SSS yet have proven to be much harder to get reductions on and much easier to go up then for our h/caps to be similar I'm having to work harder to keep mine where he can hit buffer much easier off the melons than I can off the whites, hope that makes sense. And before anyone says but the css will be higher, yes indeed it is but statically it is much harder to make buffer off our whites than it is off our yellas.

May be I'm just imagining all of this but I firmly believe if I only played off the lemons I would rarely be outside buffer.
It's not harder to play to SSS off of white tees, infact if you have a length advantage it's easier. I prefer playing long golf courses because I hit the ball further than most people, what's a par 72 for most can be a par 71 or even a 70 for me because I can reach everything in 2. Often when playing yellow tees the SSS is below par whereas the whites it's often level or 1 above. You can make less birdies and still play to handicap off the white tees. Also it may well suit you more to play off the whites, let's assume you are a poor wedge player, playing off the yellows would mean hitting lots of drives and wedges and your not going to put your wedges very close because it's an area of your game which is poor. You need to make birdies off the yellows, now all of a sudden your under pressure to make putts. Off the whites you can often go round in level par without doing too much and either buffer or get a point or 2 cut.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is the problem with the current rating system. The SSS (Standard Scratch Score) is only related to the scratch player. In particular length of shot can present different issues. Slope will make a big difference.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
does this guy ever play in club match play knock out?

because if they do they would struggle to be able to compete. we played two guys a few rounds ago in the foursomes, both great players in their day, but now both only play in senior comps which are off the yellow, they were 50 yards behind us off the tee and a few holes could only reach some of the par 4 in two with a 3 wood.

so to make this work you would have to only ever play off the yellow and miss out on knock outs, unless they were senior comps

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
does this guy ever play in club match play knock out?

because if they do they would struggle to be able to compete. we played two guys a few rounds ago in the foursomes, both great players in their day, but now both only play in senior comps which are off the yellow, they were 50 yards behind us off the tee and a few holes could only reach some of the par 4 in two with a 3 wood.

so to make this work you would have to only ever play off the yellow and miss out on knock outs, unless they were senior comps

^^this, if you are able to play off yellows, what is stopping you. Me finks Pride. One day you will have to play off yellows as your body will be telling you. Has it already started telling you. There needs to be come kind of end result for this for you. Me I would have a knock off the yellows and see how it pans out. 👍

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
^^this, if you are able to play off yellows, what is stopping you. Me finks Pride. One day you will have to play off yellows as your body will be telling you. Has it already started telling you. There needs to be come kind of end result for this for you. Me I would have a knock off the yellows and see how it pans out. 👍
thats the point though, at the moment this guy prob doesn't have an acurate handicap unless every game is off the yellow, so he couldn't play accurately against other club members who have gained a handicap off diff tee, i think the new system will solve that by the look of it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@HappyHacker1

Is it just coincidence that you’ve got several ‘nicknames’ you use for the yellow tees and none for the whites and are they used as a term of endearment/banter or maybe unconsciously used in a derogatory fashion?

Do you have something against the yellow tees, or maybe the players that use them, enquiring minds want to know :sneaky:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I understand (which is limited), the new handicap system next year will give you a different playing handicap for the different tees.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I understand (which is limited), the new handicap system next year will give you a different playing handicap for the different tees.
Not going to make any difference to the scenario/point under discussion because the premise relates to players with very similar handicaps (who have fundamentally different playing characteristics)

User20204

Visit site
^^this, if you are able to play off yellows, what is stopping you. Me finks Pride.

You fink wrong. As I have stated, I'm a 7 day member who plays sat/sun/wed comps he's a 5 day member only plays senior. Most of our weekend comps are a mixture of W/B/Y though in height of season most are whites, certainly Sats and I can't always make Sundays due to work. I don't pick what tees are on, I turn up and play the comp fro whatever tees are on that day, invariably not yellow.
@HappyHacker1

Is it just coincidence that you’ve got several ‘nicknames’ you use for the yellow tees and none for the whites and are they used as a term of endearment/banter or maybe unconsciously used in a derogatory fashion?

Do you have something against the yellow tees, or maybe the players that use them, enquiring minds want to know :sneaky:

Haha, that's just clubhouse talk coming out, don't go reading in to things that aren't there.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I play in all club comps I can and another fella I know only play in seniors as he's a 5 day member. We are off very similar hcaps yet he only plays off of the melons and probably doesn't play more than 10-15 Q's a season.

I on the other hand rarely play off the yellas and have already played 28 Qs.

So how does that make the system correct as I'm playing far more and generally harder courses.

It is your choice and your choice alone that makes the system " incorrect". No one forces you to play in competitions off whites, melons etc. If you think the system is incorrect why play off harder tees.