Votes: 17 14.9%

Votes: 3 2.6%

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fir is another bogus stat

Example first hole at Lee park. Ideal shot requires a draw round the corner. I can push a drive right and find the fairway and leave myself a 6 iron or I can slightly over draw it,miss the fairway and leave a pw.

I know which one I'd rather have.

Tour average is 61%. Molinari leads with 76% .

85% and long is highly unlikely.

So how would your rating reflect itself out on the course?

Surely a 10/10 is every fairway (or target) hit on every round

Edit: Sorry if you reply & I don't follow up (I'm just leaving the office) but will read it later

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I havnt put in a rating as I truthfully can't put a number on it.

Decent length. Can move it both ways. Not as accurate as I would like (who is).

I probably hit the ball harder than I ever need to and subsequently my accuracy will suffer. I could tip the ball around and find loads of fairways but I tend to try and get it down there and go from there.

I've kept some stats in the past but didn't really get too much from gir, fir, putts etc. They change so much from day to day.

Instead of giving myself a tick for fir, I'd rather go for

Decent length
Am I now in trouble?
Can I hit at the green
Did the flight match the image in my head.

If all are ok then tick for shot I attempted worked.

Just don't have the same ring as fairway in reg.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love driving, by far my favourite part of the game, up there with around the green, although, I only enjoy imaginative up and downs which you don't always get, driving the ball we'll I think is the best feeling in golf.

I'd give myself a 6.5/7 on a good day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was surprised to see my stats were 48% in the last few weeks (courtesy of Game Golf). With the way I've played in the last few comps that's much higher than I thought. It proves I guess that facts can be misleading. I may hit every other fairway but it doesn't mean I still score well

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I voted now it would be a 2 or 3 as driving has nearly always been the weakest part of my game. However, after my lesson yesterday I have high hopes of it going up to about 6. Only time will tell if this optimism is justified.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont know what i would rate myself, my Fairway average through GG shows as 43%, which isnt good. However, with an average drive over 300, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I no longer care about FIR, the only question i ask myself is - is the ball in play?, and can i hit the shot i want? if yes, then that is all i really care about.

The difference between being in the first cut (or even 2nd cut) in comparison to being on the fairway is nothing when you are hitting wedges etc.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who rated themself a 10? I can't see the poll results for some reason.

A 10 for me would be someone who hits a 300+ average down the fairway most of the time.

There are two rated ten, suprised there are not more due to the driving distances quoted on some threads :D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are two rated ten, suprised there are not more due to the driving distances quoted on some threads :D

But distance isn't all that your Gould use to rate your driving.

IMO 10/10 means you are very long and very straight.
9/10 is very long but not so straight or very straight but with an average distance.

i very much doubt anyone on here is in those 2 categories.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
48% from GG and the misses tend to be in the semi. I do have the "different timezone" shot in there where it goes right usually and keeps going right with some right. Tending to be less of a problem (kiss of death) and as long as the bad ones are playable from the semi then I'm happy. We do have an issue with a lot of clover in the semi so you can get the ball sitting down in some pretty rubbish lies only a few feet off the fairway

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pretty poor at the minute, a 3. Very in consistent, when it's good its ok but when it's bad I am hitting a super high slice that doesn't go anywhere.