How do you play on your practice rounds?

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being still quite new to golf I happily go playing on my own quite a lot of practice. Yesterday played in my first club comp scored 98 (hcap 20) so quite happy but my driving was pretty awful. When I am out on my own if its quiet I hit maybe 3 balls and play with all them (also keeping score for each), playing yesterday made me wonder if this isn't a great idea, I had about 6 drives sliced wildly resulting in 4 going in the trees (2 on the wrong fairway) so 8 shots lost just on them, I am off this week so going to have a few rounds in the day and going to play with just 1 ball. The other thing I realised is that there are 4 holes on the course where a slice leaves you out of bounds where as all other holes a slice takes you onto another fairway/rough. So them 4 holes I am going to use the 19 degree hybrid and leave the driver for the more forgiving holes.

What do others do when out playing on their own?

Thanks

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play on my own quite a lot and often play 2 or 3 balls.

I mainly do it so I am not catching the people in front and waiting.

If I play just one ball it takes me about 2 hours to play the round, so this is only an option if the course is empty.

When I do play 1 ball solo I usually shoot 5 to 10 shots better than I do in comps, guess it is a mental thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I play on my own from time to time. If I'm working on something after a lesson I might play a couple of balls, but if not I try and make it as realistic as I can and play one ball. I find keeping to a pre-shot routine, especially picking a clear target hard to do so try and use these rounds to improve that. If I do decide to repeat a shot, its usually around the green

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I do a practice round on my own, I play one "scoring" ball ,but if I mess a shot up I play another ball/s until I play the shot to my liking. I then carry on from wherever my scoring ball ended up.
I will also play my normal sensible shot with my scoring ball, but then play a riskier shot with another ball that I won't take on in a competitive game. if I can do that shot confidently over time I know I can possibly take the risk with it in a comp.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will also often play one scoring ball too, and hit a 2nd if I hit a poor shot.

If there is something I particularly want to practice then if faced with that shot I may play it 3 or 4 times, providing of course that I am not holding anyone up.

As an aside, I was out once and had hit 4 drives off one tee when some guy playing an adjacent hole came over and told me off. There was no one behind me.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the course is quiet I sometimes play with two balls and score them both independently (one yellow and one white to make it easy). Keeping track of three would be difficult. I try to take it seriously and score like I would in a competition. For me I don't play better solo, other than its off the yellow tees and not the whites.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I play solo regularly and sometimes play 1 ball to test my score/gauge improvement etc, but often put down a second ball for some shots.

If its quiet, I must try something I read about on here, and thats to play 2 balls but play the worst ball/worst previous shot, each time - sounds like could be useful practice.

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
I'm happy to play on my own but on those rounds what I'm really practising is how to play the course i.e. using a hybrid on some tees instead of a driver. If I want to improve my swing I get on the practice range.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unless it's a practice round on a new course prior to a special comp I don't see the point of a practice round. The practice ground, where I can hit reps of particular shots to groove a feel, is where I practice. The course is where I go for a game of golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Unless it's a practice round on a new course prior to a special comp I don't see the point of a practice round. The practice ground, where I can hit reps of particular shots to groove a feel, is where I practice. The course is where I go for a game of golf.

same here

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On Saturday morning in our roll up we were playing off our forward tees so I used my 3i for many of my tee shots - for practice and to see how I fared - as prep for the winter k/o (which is off forward tees). Used it 6 times and was actually rather successful (got 37pts). Managed in range 200-210yds and straight (which is main reason for using 3i off tee for me).

So on our difficult 17th - playing about 385yds to flag on Sat. Was on green level with flag with 3i and 6i, now for a difficult hole with lots of problems and L and R front bunkered green - that seems a sensible way to play it.

And that's my sort of thinking when playing a practice or sometimes a non-comp round.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

where I play the practice area is either uphill or downhill. The range is short and off mats.
Also depends what you regard as a practice round. As far as I'm concerned if I get time after work or on a day off and I have a solo round I call that a practice round. I'm not necessarily practicing but enjoying a leisurely round of golf. If I want another go at a shot and not affecting anyone else i do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
where I play the practice area is either uphill or downhill. The range is short and off mats.
Also depends what you regard as a practice round. As far as I'm concerned if I get time after work or on a day off and I have a solo round I call that a practice round. I'm not necessarily practicing but enjoying a leisurely round of golf. If I want another go at a shot and not affecting anyone else i do.

Likewise - and I try different shots out when out myself, or different approach to game and course management - as I did on Saturday.