How do you book your tee times?

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At the course where I now play in Northern Spain we can't make a Saturday booking until Friday morning and it must be done by phone. This meant I was on the phone this morning for 35 minutes trying to get through and book our time. For other days it can be done in person but no more than 24 hours in advance.
I think it's a ridiculous system and would appreciate comments from the other posters about how it's now done in the UK.

How does it work at your club?
Do you always get a slot at the weekend?
What do you think is the best system?

All comments appreciated as I'd like to have something to suggest if and when I bring the matter up with the people in charge.

Thanks
Shanker

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my club you can make a booking 7 days in advance, they like you to put your name on the sheet for medals or comps. Through the week just give them a call and you get a time if any available.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a "real time" online booking system at our club, shanker. I can book as many tee times as I want months in advance. The times which are already taken are shown on the site. Great system.

All bookings are computerised. No sheets. So you can book at the club through the starter (he'll plug it into the system immediately) or through him by phone. Online is best though because it's available 24 hours a day. I can arrange a time with my mates in the pub, go home at midnight, book a time online and text them the tee time.

To sell it to your club you can tell them that our club has mentioned that the starter's phone has been almost completely freed up for visitors calling the club for available tee times

Haven't heard any reports of abuse of the system yet. Think if there was then the club manager would be having a word with the member concerned. It really is the best possible system, I think. Keeps members happy and lots of times available for vistors.

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
just turn up & play - busy times are members only and you tend to just wait for a group to tee off, then its you

can be a pain Friday afternoon (after work) as there can be societies on

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Royal Ascot is a members only club so its not really a problem. In theory you can go out anytime. However competitons have priority and with our monthly medal and stableford events being fully booked from 8.00pm (90 players) there is precious little time to go out in Winter after.

That said though on non-competition weekends (for men) you can go out from first light. If the women have a weekend competition this starts from 9.00 - 11.00 (never that many in their comps) and you can wander out after that.

Like most clubs we have busy days where it is best not to just role up (Tuesdays are normally when the ladies play), the seniors also tend to play en masse on a Tuesday and Thursday.

All in all I can't complain. I enter all our club events (so I know I'll have a time booked) and role up about 8.00 most other weekends with my normal gang of mates. In summer you can get on pretty much anytime.

It is a hugely friendly club and there is never a shortage of people looking for a game. We're alos looking for new members so anyone in the Berkshire area not happy with their booking systems can always contact me for membership details.

Happy golfing
Homer

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my course, they book the tee times like the barbers, an old-fashioned book with times for comps and societies struck out.
If I turn up, I ask the pro or the assistant, it's rare to not get on, sometimes I play from the 15th or 10th.
As for having to phone Friday for Saturday... :( that sucks.

Dave

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Normal day, just turn up and play.

Saturday / Sunday before ten, need to book, in person, week in advance, or if part of swindle (we have tees reserved), 7.45 in club house.

Medal, two weeks early, sheet in pro shop, 11.00 am.

Fridays, turn up after society.

Would not join if I had to book every round, I like to be able to turn up at random and play when ever. That is part of being a member.

Pss: this keyboard is cr@p

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Once we end our golf season (march to october) we trn to the ball in the chute method, it works quite well as there are a few fair weather golfers that never turn up so we have a more relaxed 1st tee and very rarely get hold ups.
In season we have a monthly draw for tee times, each fourball must have at least 1 representative at each draw otherwise they ont get a time and have to 'float'. Again this usually works ok as most people tend to stick to their usual times so unless you are last out there is a good chance you will get a time within half an hour of your usual times.
Midweek golf is just a turn up and play affair though we received a poll in the post yesterday regarding a few issues which included internet access to book tee times.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not saying my club is in the dark ages but I send a carrier pidgeon with my prefered tee off time and the greenkeeper picks the bugger off with a sawn off shotgun. As long as he doesn't blow the feet of the dirty doo I usually get the one I want. Now and agian he wings one and after some minor nursing I can possibly get TWO rounds out of the one Doo.

thebelgie24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I send my flunky on horse back,he rides for 3 days with my Ttime wrapped in parchment and seeled with wax,its a bugger if he generates to much heat as he rides as the wax melts and there is no proof that its from me !