how do they calculate the CSS?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played in a comp last week, CSS didn't change, but of the 61 entries, 33 missed buffer and 28 made buffer or better, yet the CSS was the same as usual.

i know its supposed to be a percentage of those who miss buffer that determines it, but can't see anywhere what that percentage is?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have noticed at my course that CSS rarely changes much. It's a par 70, rated 70. Even with a bit of weather, it barely changes and obviously plenty of competitions where almost everyone is over par and it can still be 70.
A flat calm day (generally smaller field midweek medals) and it is 69.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
played in a comp last week, CSS didn't change, but of the 61 entries, 33 missed buffer and 28 made buffer or better, yet the CSS was the same as usual.

i know its supposed to be a percentage of those who miss buffer that determines it, but can't see anywhere what that percentage is?
You’re actually not fair from CSS reducing in your scenario!!

The manual Nick has loaded shows the tables used (in the appendices). It will give you a rough guide if you don’t want to sit there and work out what % of the field was in each category

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

As a rough guide, assuming par/SSS are 72, the following %ages in buffer produce these results:

46% and over = CSS 71 (37 points)
23 to 45% = CSS 72 (36 points)
16 to 22% = CSS 73 (35 points)
10 to 15% = CSS 74 (34 points)
6 to 9% = CSS 75 (33 points)

Less than 6% =CSS 75 (33 points) (Reductions Only)

Your figures put you on the borderline.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As a rough guide, assuming par/SSS are 72, the following %ages in buffer produce these results:

46% and over = CSS 71 (37 points)
23 to 45% = CSS 72 (36 points)
16 to 22% = CSS 73 (35 points)
10 to 15% = CSS 74 (34 points)
6 to 9% = CSS 75 (33 points)

Less than 6% =CSS 75 (33 points) (Reductions Only)
thanks, its par 71 CSS/SSS 73.

I'm beginning to think the software on our system isn't working, it appears no matter what the results its always 73. a few weeks ago almost 75% of the field made buffer yet it was still 73 and last year we had a comp when it was very high winds and only one person made buffer (the winner) everyone else went up 0.1!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I'm beginning to think the software on our system isn't working, it appears no matter what the results its always 73. a few weeks ago almost 75% of the field made buffer yet it was still 73 and last year we had a comp when it was very high winds and only one person made buffer (the winner) everyone else went up 0.1!!

I'm certain the software is working as prescribed!

CSS is (or at least, was, and I don't believe that has changed) also weighted by performance of Cat 1s, so that often explains apparent anomolies - especially if the field is small, as is likely (at least 'down South') if the weather is dire! I suspect that 'only person that made buffer' was not a Cat 1.

D

Deleted member 15344

Your Comp software will be fine - it’s not just the results it’s also the breakdown of the categories results etc

Each time a result is published on IG if you click on the CSS it normally gives you the breakdown

It’s also very rare the CSS drops below the SSS

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Your Comp software will be fine - it’s not just the results it’s also the breakdown of the categories results etc

Each time a result is published on IG if you click on the CSS it normally gives you the breakdown

i don't think we use IG, its a system i've not seen anywhere else TBH. it used to calculate the CSS as the score when it and it fluctuated though the day, now it just shows 73 all the time

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

@Liverpoolphil how would the first scenario not lead to a drop of 1 in CSS? I’m intrigued

User20204

Visit site
It amazes me how players manage to play off some of the handicaps they do given how the css works, and I mean low guys, 3 and below as it is just such a long process to get that low and stay there, mucho respect to them.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Liverpoolphil how would the first scenario not lead to a drop of 1 in CSS? I’m intrigued

I think I may have to go back to the drawing board on my rough guide. Using Patrick's figures, if all 59 were al Cat 1 the resultant CSS was firmly No Change from SSS. If all 59 were Cat 3/4 it would have been SSS-1. So I guess it was somewhere in between so probably No Change.

My rough guide was applicable to the spread of handicaps at our place.

D

Deleted member 15344

According the Appendix B depends on the make up of the field - but it ranges from 48% to 58% making buffer where it goes SSS -1 - so if 73% in a Comp make buffer then CSS should go down by 1 - if it doesn’t then it’s been deemed a Non Q maybe but I would be surprised if the CSS didn’t change or the 73% number is accurate.

You can check the CSS report on any Comp on IG and you can get a print out from HDID for CSS report - they are always displayed when a comp is closed

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

That may be the case with you but that is not our experience. Of the 52 QRs so far this year:

14 @ -1
28 @ No Change
4 @ +1
4 @ +2
2 @ +3

The number of players in the field may well have an impact on the CSS calculation, We have fairly small fields (c. 40) and I would imagine yours are much bigger.

Last edited: