How do i get a handicap

How do i go about getting a handicap, seen everyone talking about there numbers as far as i can make out it goes from 36 to 0 and the lower the number the better. Is that something i should forget about the now or is it something you should get right away.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To get a handicap you need to be a member of a club and hand in 3 cards marked (verified) by another member of the club who played the round with you.
Handicaps can now go up to 54.
Once you join a club I would get your handicap as soon as you can and lowering it is something to aim at.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
If you wish to know (loosely) what your handicap would likely be, were you to join a club and keep track of it (hopefully on its way down!) the you could sign up to Golfshake.

They, as far as I can tell, use the same maths and your handicap will track in the same way. However, remember this is not a legitimate handicap and there are courses which require a handicap (a proof of, via certificate/CDH no). Golfshake suggest that they are accepted at some of the big names, but I'm not sure I'd risk it without questioning first!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How do i go about getting a handicap, seen everyone talking about there numbers as far as i can make out it goes from 36 to 0 and the lower the number the better. Is that something i should forget about the now or is it something you should get right away.
Not sure if the Glasgow Municipal courses have clubs within their structure.
It was always a good cheap way of joining a club and gaining a handicap. It was the way into golf for thousands up to about 20 years ago.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really wouldnt be worrying about this for now, if you want an idea then get one of the free monitoring ones like golfshake as above but youd be better off not worrying about it (or your score too much) until further down the line.

Once you join a club and are shooting sub 100 then be a good time to put in 3 cards for an official handicap imo

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really wouldnt be worrying about this for now, if you want an idea then get one of the free monitoring ones like golfshake as above but youd be better off not worrying about it (or your score too much) until further down the line.

Once you join a club and are shooting sub 100 then be a good time to put in 3 cards for an official handicap imo

Sub 100! that is an old fashioned way of thinking about it

Par 72 + 54 = 126

birdyhunter

Visit site
Put 3 cards in at a club where you are a member - they can be in a qualifying competition or you can submit 3 'Supplementary' cards, see your pro for guidance.

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
As has been said you have to join a club. Some people will tell you not to bother yet etc but we are all driven differently and if having a handicap gives you extra motivation to improve and extra desire to play and maybe even adds to your enjoyment then go for it.

Yes 100% I definitely like a goal to aim for. After my 30 days trial ends ill be signing up for full membership and hopefully i can score under 100 by then and find out what my handicap is and work on lowering it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting a handicap will allow you to play in club comps and it is only when you are playing in a competition with it's added pressure will you really be able to assess how well you are playing.

Unlike the current CONGU system with the WHS with rapid improvements in your ability and hopefully scores in comps should see a rapid improvement in lowering you handicap.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
i prefer playing different courses rather than joining one club, its a pity i cant get a handicap that way

I’m the same, I have never been a member of a club for the same reason.

I use an app on my phone called ‘golf Handicapp’ to track my scores and it give me an unofficial Handicapp.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been playing without a handicap for years, my free golf app gives me a rough one which gives me a target to beat.

No need to pay when I can get roughly the same thing for free.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Getting a handicap will allow you to play in club comps and it is only when you are playing in a competition with it's added pressure will you really be able to assess how well you are playing.

Unlike the current CONGU system with the WHS with rapid improvements in your ability and hopefully scores in comps should see a rapid improvement in lowering you handicap.

I can see why some people don't want to join a club or if they why they don't want to play in competitions. Nothing wrong in that but I'd argue tracking your progress on an app in a round with nothing on it (other than perhaps an unofficial 0.1 increase) there is a world of pressure trying to do it in a medal round of the white tees, not always in great conditions. That is when you learn the art of trying to make a score

NeilG

Visit site
I can see why some people don't want to join a club or if they why they don't want to play in competitions. Nothing wrong in that but I'd argue tracking your progress on an app in a round with nothing on it (other than perhaps an unofficial 0.1 increase) there is a world of pressure trying to do it in a medal round of the white tees, not always in great conditions. That is when you learn the art of trying to make a score

I play using an app and track my scores and handicap that way. I think the difference between that and playing in a club competition is minimal.
It does seem a bit of a closed shop that to get an official handicap you need to join a club. Is there no other way?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This may not be the thread to do it, but there have been a few mentions of higher than high handicaps.

Shooting under 100 should be everyone's first target. If you cannot even get remotely close to that, then I really don't see how you should have a realistic chance of winning a comp. A 36 handicapper could shoot 110 in a medal and still win - that is nuts, and it isn't even the most extreme example. 54!!!

It's all very well talking about handicap divisions, but if you have a small membership then this isn't always possible. I really don't think 28 handicap limit is elitism or anything like that - 99 or less should be everyone's first target.