How are points calculated in a 9 hole comp?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't work it out.

Played a 9 hole comp last night and received 11 shots. (I usually play off 21, so assume they just halved it to 10.5 and rounded it up to 11).

They allocated 1 - 9 SI on the front 9 and I scored a rather pathetic 13 points, gross 53 - wasn't my finest 9. Anyway according to the scores I ended up with 31 points. How does that happen then?

My friend who plays off 5 was allocated 3, scored 22 stableford points and was given 40 points (won!)
My other mate who plays off 12 was allocated 7, scored 18 stableford points and was given 36 points (2nd)

Can anyone with a significantly larger brain than me explain how the points are calculated?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it looks as thoughb they are giving you half your handicap in shots on the 9 you played, then adding 18 points for the 9 you didnt play - seems a bit bizarre, most times you just use the 9 points score

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clubs have to apply for SSS for 9-hole qualifiers. When you get the SSS you are also given a chart which you consult using your exact handicap to give you your handicap for the 9-hole comp - it is not necessarily half playing handicap. A "neutral" 18 points is then added to the number of points you score on the 9 holes and that is gauged against the 9-hole SSS for handicap adjustments (no CSS is calculated).

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it looks as thoughb they are giving you half your handicap in shots on the 9 you played, then adding 18 points for the 9 you didnt play - seems a bit bizarre, most times you just use the 9 points score

Oh yeah! Ha, obvious now you've pointed it out. Cheers.

Clubs have to apply for SSS for 9-hole qualifiers. When you get the SSS you are also given a chart which you consult using your exact handicap to give you your handicap for the 9-hole comp - it is not necessarily half playing handicap. A "neutral" 18 points is then added to the number of points you score on the 9 holes and that is gauged against the 9-hole SSS for handicap adjustments (no CSS is calculated).

Interesting, thanks. I went up 0.1. Oddly my mate who scored 22 points didn't get any sort of cut?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 9-hole SSS will not necessarily be the same as the 18-hole SSS, particularly if the club has used, for example, the front 9 and its length is significantly different to the back 9. For example, our course is Par 72/ SSS 72 but the 9-hole SSS based on the front 9 - which is shorter than the back 9 - is 70.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting, thanks. I went up 0.1. Oddly my mate who scored 22 points didn't get any sort of cut?

I suspect it wasn't a proper 9-hole qualifier which would need a 9-hole SSS authorised by England Golf. That SSS has to be used in conjunction with a conversion chart which gives a 9-hole handicap based on your exact handicap. From my experience, that will be less than half of your playing handicap. I may be wrong but I think your club may have thought it OK just to use the 18-hole SSS and half the playing handicap. In that case it couldn't be a qualifier.

Oh, and as far as I remember, Cat 1 players cannot play in 9-hole qualifiers.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect it wasn't a proper 9-hole qualifier which would need a 9-hole SSS authorised by England Golf. That SSS has to be used in conjunction with a conversion chart which gives a 9-hole handicap based on your exact handicap. From my experience, that will be less than half of your playing handicap. I may be wrong but I think your club may have thought it OK just to use the 18-hole SSS and half the playing handicap. In that case it couldn't be a qualifier.

Oh, and as far as I remember, Cat 1 players cannot play in 9-hole qualifiers.

I suspect it was run correctly as a 9 hole Q, probably not explained or understood thoroughly though. The 40 point player simply wouldn't have a Q score being cat 1 as you highlight.