Changing 18-hole comp to 9-hole comp after comp has started.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This situation has probably been discussed but I'm looking for an answer.

I happened to be absent today when our Friday Seniors comp was held today. In my absence, a committee member - quite justifiably given the appalling weather - called all players in after 9 holes and told them it would now be a 9-hole competition.

The question is: can a comp be changed to a 9-hole, after it has started as an 18-hole comp, with scores still counting for handicap?

Or should it just be abandoned?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the ROG

Stroke Play

In stroke play there is no set guidance for when a Committee should cancel a round. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and is left to the judgment of the Committee.

A round should be cancelled only in a case where it would be very unfair not to cancel it. For example, a small number of players begin a round under extremely bad weather conditions, conditions subsequently worsen and further play that day is impossible, but when play will resume the next day the weather is ideal.

When a round is cancelled, all scores and penalties during that round are cancelled. That would normally include any disqualification penalty, but, if a player is disqualified for a serious misconduct (see Rule 1.2) or for a breach of the Code of Conduct, that disqualification should not be cancelled.

However WHS Rule 2.2b seems to suggest the scores may be acceptable but WHS says rounds must be played according to the RoG

But it does seem to be a pragmatic solution. I have often seen it happen but not since WHS nor when handicap adjustments were involved.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stroke Play

In stroke play there is no set guidance for when a Committee should cancel a round. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and is left to the judgment of the Committee.

A round should be cancelled only in a case where it would be very unfair not to cancel it. For example, a small number of players begin a round under extremely bad weather conditions, conditions subsequently worsen and further play that day is impossible, but when play will resume the next day the weather is ideal.

When a round is cancelled, all scores and penalties during that round are cancelled. That would normally include any disqualification penalty, but, if a player is disqualified for a serious misconduct (see Rule 1.2) or for a breach of the Code of Conduct, that disqualification should not be cancelled.

My problem is that a committee member called all players to come in after 9 holes and told them it would become a 9-hole competition. If that course of action is acceptable, could the comp be changed in the ISV software to a 9-hole comp and scores used for handicaps?

Both front and back 9s are registered on WHS for 9-hole comps.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My problem is that a committee member called all players to come in after 9 holes and told them it would become a 9-hole competition. If that course of action is acceptable, could the comp be changed in the ISV software to a 9-hole comp and scores used for handicaps?

Technically, I can't see why not. Any completed scores already entered would have to be re-entered in a newly set up comp and the original deleted. But it first has to be clarified that it acceptable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
17 | P a g e
G5.6 (2) Scores And PCC Calculation Returned In Abandoned Competitions
Scores returned from an abandoned competition will be entered into a player’s handicap record as usual, with Net Par and Net Double Bogey adjustments made to the gross score as required. If it is decided to calculate a separate PCC for rounds played for part of the day, then the committee will use the software provided to indicate which scores are to be included. The Handicap Index calculation for those players will utilize the separate PCC rather than the PCC for the day.

Not quite what you are looking for but close.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you even able to change the competition on the system after people have booked in? You will need to delete and set up as a new 9 hole comp in any case.

D-S

Visit site
Surely this was an 18 hole competition and therefore as per the Rules of Handicapping
“2.2a For an 18-hole Score
2.2 Minimum Number of Holes Played for Score to be Acceptable
For an 18-hole score to be acceptable for handicap purposes, a minimum of 10 holes must be played.”
It is rather a large change to make mid way through a competition.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you even able to change the competition on the system after people have booked in? You will need to delete and set up as a new 9 hole comp in any case.

Simple job to reconfigure the competition as a 9-hole competition before the processing of submitted scores.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely this was an 18 hole competition and therefore as per the Rules of Handicapping
“2.2a For an 18-hole Score
2.2 Minimum Number of Holes Played for Score to be Acceptable
For an 18-hole score to be acceptable for handicap purposes, a minimum of 10 holes must be played.”
It is rather a large change to make mid way through a competition.

Personally I would go with this.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Handicapping aside, here is what the Official Guide says about Changing Terms of the Competition After Competition Has Started:
"An example of a situation where the Terms of the Competition should not be altered:
  • Since players begin a round with the expectation that a certain number of holes will be played and may base their play on that, the number of holes to be played in a round should not be changed once that round has started. For example, if bad weather results in play being suspended after all the players have completed 9 holes of an 18-hole round, the Committee should not announce the results based on only 9 holes."

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Handicapping aside, here is what the Official Guide says about Changing Terms of the Competition After Competition Has Started:
"An example of a situation where the Terms of the Competition should not be altered:
  • Since players begin a round with the expectation that a certain number of holes will be played and may base their play on that, the number of holes to be played in a round should not be changed once that round has started. For example, if bad weather results in play being suspended after all the players have completed 9 holes of an 18-hole round, the Committee should not announce the results based on only 9 holes."

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

LizAig

Visit site
It can’t be qualifying for handicap as you have to play minimum of 10 holes in an 18 hole plus you can’t change an 18 hole comp to a 9 hole comp after players have started playing. Technically the comp was abandoned as a committee member stopped players playing.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I can just imagine the conspiracy theories in the clubhouse after this has been done! Keeping it open because of who was in the lead etc.

It surely would’ve been easier for them to abandon the comp and refund people but despite any ruling you could argue credit should be given to them for changing it to a completable format if everyone could get around. However, if I was the end of the extremist of conditions, I’d be angry that the format was changed just to keep it going. Can’t win on this one unfortunately which is why it’s in the rules as Rulie suggest above.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can just imagine the conspiracy theories in the clubhouse after this has been done! Keeping it open because of who was in the lead etc.

It surely would’ve been easier for them to abandon the comp and refund people but despite any ruling you could argue credit should be given to them for changing it to a completable format if everyone could get around. However, if I was the end of the extremist of conditions, I’d be angry that the format was changed just to keep it going. Can’t win on this one unfortunately which is why it’s in the rules as Rulie suggest above.
I reckon Rulie wasn't suggesting but telling us.