How’s your moral compass

Leftitshort

Visit site
No subjects needed banning IMO, just certain posters needed to be reined in. Their posting style is deliberately confrontational/provocative. I’d include the baiting of SILH on religion. He’s got his views, why can’t they be respected.

Leftitshort

Visit site
At least you're not threatened with an eternity, burning in hell if you don't believe what they believe.
If you don’t believe in it it’s a empty threat. Religion isn’t about you, it’s about them, and them are different from you & each other. Let them believe what they want

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
No one is baiting anyone on what they believe. I haven't seen that. The discussion here has been quite civil with occasional attempts at humour, but essentially people are merely disagreeing with each other.
Some see belief in God as being a private personal thing, others see it as being ( or had been ) pervasive in that some push the view that there are penalties for not believing. Modern Christianity doesn't promote that view hardly at all, but some hundred years ago or so, it was different.
Whether it is a valid part of Christianity, is also discussed .

All seems well contributed to in this thread

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not always that simple

View attachment 40702
There are 'extremists' in all 'faiths' and one of their tactics is indoctrination of the young. That's a tactic that springs to my mind when I see the above pic. Though, of course, it might not be what has happened and it's only my own prejudice that made me think that. As for the argument in the message... that's easily counterable.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always find discussions on morality fascinating. As it's always viewed from the speaker (or writer's point of view). But when we say morals, by who's standards do we judge and set the bar? When we say right and wrong, who defines what is right and what is wrong? Our laws? Is our morality superior to other people's or nations or races?

Morality and right/wrong are not universally (or at least globally) equal and I find it interesting when these concepts (especially of right/wrong, which these days seems to be view of left or right - where has the concept of balanced views gone? - that's a debate for another day) come to the fore and invariably they end up in arguments about the very fundamentals of what is and what isn't right.

We also can't really look to society to guide us, lest we forget that society couldn't even agree on what colour a dress was!

Personally, I just try not to be an idiot. Do I always succeed? No, but I recognise when I have been and try not to do it again. Do I always succeed at that? No, but I recognise.... and around we go.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lets assume there are zero implications and no-one would EVER find out.

You find a quid on floor do you keep it or drop it in a charity tin for example?

What about a crisp 20 pound note blowing in the leaves?

An envelope with 500 quid in, how are you feeling now?

OK, 5 grand in an envelope, how are your morals now?