How’s your moral compass

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And I suggest you make an effort to understand a subject before throwing insults at it.

What insults have I thrown?
When the subject of morality is discussed it's not too long before god is mentioned.
I merely gave my opinion that I don't believe in stuff other people believe in as it just doesn't make sense, hence the reference to the old testament.
And before anyone wants to tell me not all religions are the same, I know, other religions are available.

I've lost count how many times I've been asked...
''If you don't believe in god, where do you get your morals from''
Then I'm quoted Romans 2:15

Would you say Deuteronomy 21:18-21 is a good moral lesson?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What insults have I thrown?
When the subject of morality is discussed it's not too long before god is mentioned.
I merely gave my opinion that I don't believe in stuff other people believe in as it just doesn't make sense, hence the reference to the old testament.
And before anyone wants to tell me not all religions are the same, I know, other religions are available.

I've lost count how many times I've been asked...
''If you don't believe in god, where do you get your morals from''
Then I'm quoted Romans 2:15

Would you say Deuteronomy 21:18-21 is a good moral lesson?
You raised the subject, no one else.

Live and let live I say. I just don't believe you are being constantly harassed by evangelical Christians, you seem to be the one with issues.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You raised the subject, no one else.

Yes, I know.

Live and let live I say. I just don't believe you are being constantly harassed by evangelical Christians, you seem to be the one with issues.

I agree, live and let live. I won't bother them if they don't bother me. But they do.
At my front door, on the high street, even my Facebook feed is full of religious sorts trying to sign me up to their own special church.
I've had three FB messages this morning reminding me that tomorrow is 'World religion day' They are now all blocked obviously.

But just to be clear, I'm not being constantly harassed by evangelical Christians, but then I never said I was.
And if I do have issues with religion, you can blame the vicar who tried to 'interfere' with me at Sunday school when I was about 8. Don't talk to me about his morals

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, I know.

I agree, live and let live. I won't bother them if they don't bother me. But they do.
At my front door, on the high street, even my Facebook feed is full of religious sorts trying to sign me up to their own special church.
I've had three FB messages this morning reminding me that tomorrow is 'World religion day' They are now all blocked obviously.

But just to be clear, I'm not being constantly harassed by evangelical Christians, but then I never said I was.
And if I do have issues with religion, you can blame the vicar who tried to 'interfere' with me at Sunday school when I was about 8. Don't talk to me about his morals
His profession weren't responsible for his perversion, his personal morals were and he would have been untrue to his faith. When did I talk to you about his morals.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
And I suggest you make an effort to understand a subject before throwing insults at it.

By rubbishing others beliefs you are pushing your beliefs at others Can't you see the irony in that.
Religion is a belief, not believing in religion is fact. There's a massive difference.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In the great library of human understanding, religion is in the fiction section. It is all made-up stuff - works of imagination.

There are many moral messages in works of fiction that are worth reading. Religion has no special status above any of these in my understanding.

If anyone criticises the works of Tolkein, I am not outraged and I do not feel the need to exact violence on those that criticise nor enact laws to make such criticism punishable.

This is my view on religion.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think we've floated away from the main topic here.
For me, my moral compass is
  • I try to treat everyone equally and fairly
  • I don't judge people as soon as I meet them
  • I try to treat others as I would like to be treated
  • If I can help someone I can
  • Give people there benefit of the doubt, if there is a doubt
I fail on all these at times as I'm only human, but I do my best.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seriously, just so we know. - Are you really a Creationist ?
No - and a very, very long way from being one (you’ll have got that from the ?)

But as you ask - my core moral values, as instilled in me by my parents and other relatives, are I suppose grounded in the teachings and writings of the New Testament, and I use my faith to guide my actions - especially when I have to choose between what my own will wants me to do, and what I come to understand to be the right thing to do. Much of the time they are aligned, but not always, and sometimes they are quite divergent. That’s when I try and use the belief and faith I might have my God (my specific higher power) to guide me. But it’s often difficult.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
my core moral values, as instilled in me by my parents and other relatives, are I suppose grounded in the teachings and writings of the New Testament,

Now this is my main problem which stops me from being religious.
If the bible is the word of god, you have to follow it all and I can't do that.
If you follow the new testament, how can you ignore the old, you either follow the whole bible or none of it. And if you get your morals from the OT, there's some nasty stuff in there, lots of stoning going on. Is it moral to own someone as a slave and beat them?
It seems to me there's a lot of cherry picking going on, keep the 10 commandments but forget the stoning and the killing.
Who am I to decide which bits of gods word is 'wrong'

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Who am I to decide which bits of gods word is 'wrong'

We are all free to do that, I certainly can't get past the fact that the world was, apparently, created, and if you can't believe God made the earth then everything else after that is clearly nonsense. Let's be honest, most religions are just a way to control the masses, do as I say or you won't go to heaven when you die, a bit like telling a 5 year old if you don't behave you wont go to the cinema but on a grander scale. Also I believe the current Archbishop of Canterbury once said you could be a Christian and believe in creation and the scientific big bang theory - no you can't! God making the earth is a pretty fundamental start to Christian belief I'd say.

RichA

Visit site
I have no religion and don't believe in anything spiritual. My mum's stepbrother was a COfE vicar and, after 2 divorces and remarriages, a CofS rector. As a teenager, I had long conversations with him about his work and beliefs. His view, which he said was shared by many of his colleagues, was that the faith was in people rather than anything supernatural but their shared belief provided a framework to provide support and comfort, not control.
My parents always said that he never really believed in god - he just liked being a social worker and enjoyed dressing up. Either way, he was a good guy and provided that support and comfort to many people. He certainly did no harm.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I certainly can't get past the fact that the world was, apparently, created,

My reply to that statement is always when was it created?
The bible suggests around 6,000 years ago.
Scientists of course disagree.
And if the scientists are right, then god was wrong again.
Not to mention the sun going round the earth.
And if god created light on the first day and the sun on the 4th day, how did that work?
And when did he create the dinosaurs?
And was Noah really 900 years old? And if so, how many offspring did he have?
There are just too many mistakes.

Either way, he was a good guy and provided that support and comfort to many people. He certainly did no harm.

I'm sure there are many good moral people all over the world who do good and help others but you don't need religion to do good.