Horrible Slice

IanLeeds

Assistant Pro
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Hi Guys,

I know this isn't the pretty slice but wondered if you could give me some advice, I slice quite badly most of the time, any drills I could do?.. I think it's a lot with weight transfer and turning my body through the shot but I ain't an expert.

Thanks in advance. Driver Swing

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look at the change of plane you have in the transition. You are throwing your arms away from your body going out to in with your swing causing the slice IMO. Best wait for Bob to suggest some drills though.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a much much much looser grip

Might help the club "release" instead of possibly keeping teh face really open at impact.

But it could be one of many things

IanLeeds

Assistant Pro
Look at the change of plane you have in the transition. You are throwing your arms away from your body going out to in with your swing causing the slice IMO. Best wait for Bob to suggest some drills though.

thanks Chris, I see a lot of people talking about out to in, does that mean that my swing comes around like a loop? (Apologies for silly question)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think, looking at the video, that you are "throwing" your arms out causing it. Bob will/can explain I don't even know if I am correct.

You also look like at the transition you are moving forward before turning which won't help much either.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
you don't seem to be lining up straight
if you look closely at your vid your feet are aiming towards the bunker in the distance on the right where as your shoulders are pointing down the centre of the fairway.

probably one of the causes why you are swinging across yourself more and slicing

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
now i've got the vid working..

I note that your forarms and your thighs are both aligned nicely with your feet, and that at the top of your backswing you still appear to be in the same alignment, which must be good.

But if you then look at the direction the ball leaves the tee, it is about 20 degrees to the left of that line.

So, at impact you have lost that initial, and top of backswing alignment.

So you do something on the downswing, and i think you are turning your hips to start the dwownswing, but you are bringing your shoulders with your hips, and so you end up at impact with your hips pointing 20 degrees left (which isnt a problem) but so are yoru shoulders now pointing 20 degrees left (which IS a problem). and which causes the ball to start off at 20 degrees left.

And i reckon that's why it looks like you line up your driver with its heel rather than teh sweetspot.

So try and turn you hips at eth start of teh downswing, but leave your shoulders behind, with the feeling that your right elbow drops down to your side.

Alternatively, wait for Bob to come along

Good luck, been there, had exactly the same swing as you and you can sort it out :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Ian, yeup you've got a slice all right.
And you are by no means alone.
First of all, what are you doing?

cure12.jpg

So swing path is across your body and the clubface open at impact.
To change this would take pretty major swing surgery which would take many hours of practice.
Or you could try and square up the clubface a touch to reduce the amount of swerve in the air.
Do you have the time and do you enjoy practicing?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
turned them left my right hand basically thumb and finger make a v shape on the front of the grip nearly

It sounds as if your grip was too far to the right and he asked you to move it to the left and you may have gone too far.
Try getting the V on your right hand to point to your right ear/shoulder and see if that helps

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting aside all things related to how you setup and swing lets look at the basics of why your ball slices. It slices due to the fact that your swingpath is to the left of your clubface direction, this creates clockwise spin on the ball, making it turn to the right. If you can forget about swing dynamics and focus on making your swingpath moving more inside to out so that it strikes the ball to the right of your clubface direction (inside rear quadrant)then the ball will move from right to left.

Think about a beach ball and how you would strike it with the palm of your hand to create anticlockwise spin, you would hit it with the palm of your hand from inside to out while turning your wrist in an anticlockwise direction. Now apply this thought process to the golf ball and you will lose your slice.

IanLeeds

Assistant Pro
well an update, I played 18 holes today but was only a par 3 course so not much use for diver well I hit it 10 times today and I only hit 1 slice shot, I took 2 main things on board tried to not "throw my arms" and moved my v on grip to point to shoulder so seemed to work