Honeymoon period over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So, after enjoying baked hard fairways and driving the ball further than ever before due to the extra run out, and thus not having to reach for fairway wood, hybrid or long iron due to those extra distances, instead hitting more GIR with a 7 or 8i to the front of the green, is that all about to change as the rain falls and the green grassy stuff returns ?

Will all these reported great scores we’ve enjoyed due to these extra distances we’ve achieved off the tee and thus, to a degree, making the game easier, is this honeymoon period now coming to an end and we’ll see those usual scores and missed greens in regulation return.

Have you learned anything about your game in these past conditions or simply adjusted and took advantage of them, but are prepared for ‘business as usual’ when the green lush grassy stuff returns in full.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Even though I’m driving ,pitching and putting better than I ever have my game
in between has been horrendous (mid iron play)so haven’t noticed it to be honest but this is due to some big swing changes which in the long run will give me consistency and better ball striking so had to be done .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By Friday we are back up to 27 degree, the ground will still be rock hard

Ask this question around October

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure one day of rain will make much of a difference. Sure the grass will become green again, but in the grand scheme of things the ground is not going to be too soft after it has stopped raining for a few hours.

But if you go by the Mark Broadie's stokes gained principle, distance is very important in scoring so probably, for most people, the dry conditions have helped their scores.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday after a lot of rain over night. Reduced roll out very noticeable. Having to re adjust to hitting at flags again and not getting a hot bounce from fringes was a challenge. I’m guessing today’s medal scores will reflect the course playing longer

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In Ireland we had a full day of rain on Monday and some last night. tbh the course was in dire need of it.

Played a few holes on wed and last night. the course looked much better for it. the green colour has returned for the most part while there is still a decent bit of run.

Scoring wise I think today could be fantastic for those playing well. The ball will check up on approaches and pitches while still having the option to run it in if required.

I do hope they cut the greens this morn as they were slow last night.

Right now, I would say the course isn't in a honeymoon period, but a goldilocks stage. Go get em tiger, or Phil or whoever you wish to emulate. :thup:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sadly, the dry conditions arrived as I changed irons and lost the ability to hit the ball well. I’ve just got my ball striking back and l’ve been hitting irons off of the tee when in the past I would have used driver. With roll the 4-iron is going between 180-220 yards which are my driving distances normally. I will miss using the iron off of the tee on the Par 4s.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure one day of rain will make much of a difference. Sure the grass will become green again, but in the grand scheme of things the ground is not going to be too soft after it has stopped raining for a few hours.

But if you go by the Mark Broadie's stokes gained principle, distance is very important in scoring so probably, for most people, the dry conditions have helped their scores.

they were saying that it will take 4-6 weeks of solid rain for the grass to regrow properly... the ground is so hard the water just runs off rather than get sucked up like it should

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thread is a bit premature. Might have some rain this weekend causing a slight change in course conditions then it seems like we're in for another month of hot weather

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going home tomorrow and have just seen the weather forecast for the South West, glad I dropped out of the match for Sunday.

Reckon it will be drop and stop conditions on Monday (assuming the course is even open).

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In Ireland we had a full day of rain on Monday and some last night. tbh the course was in dire need of it.

Played a few holes on wed and last night. the course looked much better for it. the green colour has returned for the most part while there is still a decent bit of run.

Scoring wise I think today could be fantastic for those playing well. The ball will check up on approaches and pitches while still having the option to run it in if required.

I do hope they cut the greens this morn as they were slow last night.

Right now, I would say the course isn't in a honeymoon period, but a goldilocks stage. Go get em tiger, or Phil or whoever you wish to emulate. :thup:

Well that escalated quickly.

Wind howling thru 3.
torrential rain on 4.
Bit of both thru to 11
Then torrential rain thru to 16.

Whole course basically walking in from all over. forget it.

Enjoyed the challenge even though my back was goosed. Didn't blank any holes but far too many 1 pointers. Aim was to buffer. Was going to come up just shy so was happy enough to walk and get showered.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thread is a bit premature. Might have some rain this weekend causing a slight change in course conditions then it seems like we're in for another month of hot weather

It wasn’t premature for today’s Silver Medal, nett 77 (css73) leading as I left, 30mph+ wind, debris flying around everywhere, lashing it down with rain as we teed off at 9am, then sun, rain, constant gusts of wind, and repeat many times......

NR’d on the 18th so not playing the afternoon 18 (36 hole comp), ‪it was like that large piece of debris flying across the practice green all the way around the course in the video. Greens were littered with debris which slowed everything down, looking for balls & just very very tough conditions.

What a difference this wind & rain has made, and it’s getting worse this afternoon and looks like Armageddon tomorrow 😜

[video=youtube_share;lIgRlv6APCA]https://youtu.be/lIgRlv6APCA[/video]

Fish

Banned
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;gGR170dYVYA]https://youtu.be/gGR170dYVYA[/video]

Thunder & lightening now ⚡️

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Played yesterday after a lot of rain over night. Reduced roll out very noticeable. Having to re adjust to hitting at flags again and not getting a hot bounce from fringes was a challenge. I’m guessing today’s medal scores will reflect the course playing longer

Greens much more receptive as you say, so not relying on a decent bounce when previously aiming at the apron or the front of the greens was a huge difference today.

Already our scores are repressive of the tougher conditions, nobody in under handicap so far, I’ve never heard so many shouts of Fore coming from all over the course in a single round, the wind was mental 😳

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah similar here a little further north, pretty unpleasant. Got 18 in early doors but honestly wish I hadn't bothered (nr'd)

I'm sure our friends on the coast and north of the border will wonder what all the fuss is about but it's not much fun with more storms forecast tomorrow

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well we didn't have a drop of rain during our Masters comp today, but plenty last night and v early this morning.

And wind...

Lost 50 yds of roll already! No gain on the greens as ours have been maintained with a touch of give (to keep them alive) and whilst the give of the greens aids control its not consistent yet - so no assistance really.

As to scoring - three players managed to get to 2 under, most suffered badly and one single figure player managed 10 under to win it by a mile.....so someone appreciated the conditions!

We definitely need it, and it came just in time.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Wow, for the morning round our css went up to 76, never seen that before 😳

Only 2 players in the whole full field got nett level par (73), and none of them were the gold single players 🤔

Doubt the afternoon results will be much difference after the downpour of rain & hail we’ve just had accompanied with long periods of thunder 😜

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Howling gusts from before 7.00am, rain and some thunder today. Lowest gross in today is a 74. There have been some phenonomal scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.