Holtye - tips and tricks

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Playing Holtye on Friday and want to be prepared.

Looking at the scorecard it seems that only 1 hole warrants the big stick, but what's the real life situation?

I'm aware it's a tight course etc so what do I need to know?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Don't *need* driver anywhere, but depending on your length you could use it on any of the par 4s really.

Enjoy the 4th / 13th. It's one of my favourite par 3s anywhere. Most of the split tees (1/10 etc) are obvious but 9&18 are not! 9 is off the back of the 8th/17th green. 18 is over the road and to your left making the hole a big dog leg. Take a look for it when you go round the first time.

Played a few weeks ago and it was looking good. It's a "rough and ready" type course. Will never be manicured to perfection.

D

Deleted member 18121

Don't *need* driver anywhere, but depending on your length you could use it on any of the par 4s really.

Enjoy the 4th / 13th. It's one of my favourite par 3s anywhere. Most of the split tees (1/10 etc) are obvious but 9&18 are not! 9 is off the back of the 8th/17th green. 18 is over the road and to your left making the hole a big dog leg. Take a look for it when you go round the first time.

Played a few weeks ago and it was looking good. It's a "rough and ready" type course. Will never be manicured to perfection.

230ish carry with the big stick ... And normally accurate, I'll take it with me for giggles.

Are the greens the receptive type normally? Or more playing to the front and let them work up?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
230ish carry with the big stick ... And normally accurate, I'll take it with me for giggles.

Are the greens the receptive type normally? Or more playing to the front and let them work up?

So, similar to me on a good day. So you're probably hitting it on 3 & 12 (normally 12 is a good club shorter than 3 which makes going for the green easier in 2), 5 & 14 if you wanna go for the green. maybe 6, doubtful 15 as the angle changes. The same again for 7&16. 9, if you think you can carry the heather then bombs away. But not a chance on 18!

I say all of this, having rarely hit driver there in a long time, and my best score there coming with nothing longer than a 5i in the bag!

The greens, play to the front normally. For 7/16, play for anything from 20-40 yards short and let it run down - it will get there. The putting green is usually pretty representative of the course and the range, though small is reasonable.

@Canary_Yellow's comment on the road will be very obvious. The 1st and 3rd run along the A264. Don't go left!

D

Deleted member 18121

So, similar to me on a good day. So you're probably hitting it on 3 & 12 (normally 12 is a good club shorter than 3 which makes going for the green easier in 2), 5 & 14 if you wanna go for the green. maybe 6, doubtful 15 as the angle changes. The same again for 7&16. 9, if you think you can carry the heather then bombs away. But not a chance on 18!

I say all of this, having rarely hit driver there in a long time, and my best score there coming with nothing longer than a 5i in the bag!

The greens, play to the front normally. For 7/16, play for anything from 20-40 yards short and let it run down - it will get there. The putting green is usually pretty representative of the course and the range, though small is reasonable.

@Canary_Yellow's comment on the road will be very obvious. The 1st and 3rd run along the A264. Don't go left!

Nice final comment when my bad shot is a duck hook. .....I look forward to it!

Thanks for the insight.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a great little course though. One of the best 9/18 holers around with the possible exception of Reigate Heath. Play it as you see it and don't try anything fancy or it will bite you - hard.

iirc, pro shop good and nice atmosphere and grub in the clubhouse although is was a few years since.

Oh, and that now reminds me to annoy my friend James who is a member there for a game (y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18121

Chaps, just wanted to say thanks for the tips... Made my day enjoyable going in with expectations and realisations of what to look for.

I came 3rd overall, won the closest to the pin (the 8th) and our team came 2nd in the scramble.

Lovely course and the staff there were amazing also. Should never have waited so long to play it.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

So, did your big stick get much action?! And did you put it on the road?!

D

Deleted member 18121

If it helps, county membership only used to be 400.00. Hidden gem.

Unfortunately it's a good hour from me these days, but I'm annoyed that all the years I was local that I didn't get to it.

D

Deleted member 18121

Playing that 3rd is bloody nerve breaking!
I managed a 7 from the middle of the fairway off the tee a few weeks ago. There's something about the relatively small green, with nowhere to bail out that gets me every time!

From the initial description I assumed it would be the tee shot that was road bound, I had no idea it would be a 170+ yard 2nd shot into a green surrounded by speeding cars that literally you could cause death on.

I however channeled my inner tiger and stung in a mid iron to the front edge both times. I'd take that all day every day forever!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Balls of steel @adam6177 and @hairball_89 , fair play. I last played there around 2011/2012 suffering with a pull and just couldn’t commit to the 3rd/12th approach. I think I was playing off about 15 at the time and recall getting shots so laid up and wedged in for safety ?

D

Deleted member 18121

Balls of steel @adam6177 and @hairball_89 , fair play. I last played there around 2011/2012 suffering with a pull and just couldn’t commit to the 3rd/12th approach. I think I was playing off about 15 at the time and recall getting shots so laid up and wedged in for safety ?

I think I last uttered the words "wedge for safety" just before I skulled it at 3.2 million mph approximately knee height for an total distance of 200 yards. ?